Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sometimes I Don’t Know What to Think

I am a pretty definite person. Overfull of certitude my critics say. I'’m OK with that. I know in whom I have believed and I am convinced.

There is a man from Christchurch New Zealand, Ron McKenzie, who I have never met. I wish I could. I have been reading his blog, Blessed Economist, for over 2 years. I have often wanted to post a comment on one of his posts. But his blog hates me. Not really, but it doesn't for some reason allow me to comment.

He's an economist and a very excellent theologian. I read everything he writes and nearly 100% of the time I agree with him. I have printed off some of what he has written from time to time and handed it off to pastor friends of mine. He'’s that good. I commend him to you. I love his view of government, civil and eccesiastical. In fact the denomination under which I licensed as a minister is using some of his material in developing the proper approach to the apostolic model in church leadership.

So, it was with some chagrin that a couple weeks ago he wrote a piece that was not supportive of the War in Iraq, President Bush and his role fighting the war on terror.

He Wrote:
George Bush sees the War on Terror as part of a Struggle for Civilization. I suggest that he does not understand war or civilization.
War on Terror is a strange name for a war. Terror is a weapon, not a war. So who is America actually fighting against: Al Qa'ida, an Axis of Evil, all Muslims, the Middle East nations?
Now, in principle I understand. He claims we do NOT understand what the War on Terror is; we have declared war on a weapon or a symptom, in a way it'’s like having a war on Atom Bombs, or our "War on Drugs" or the war on poverty.

If that is all there is, the war on terror is hopeless. If people'’s hearts aren'’t changed then nothing changes.

I had to think about it. Since his blog doesn'’t take comments from ME, I wrote Ron directly. I asked him this question, "“What would you do, say or encourage our President to do or say since he has the responsibility of leading and protecting this nation and it'’s constitution”. They really want to kill us. Kill us all. Nuclear annihilation. I recognize that the Gospel is the weapon that will get us further than any bomb or force. I understand your idea of interchange and communication. I do think this is a war for the ideals, for good and bad of western civilization. Capitulation defeats us all".

He responded:
Gene, a few of them want to kill you, but if you ignore the posturing, the truth is that they are mostly powerless or incompetent. Most of them just want to survive. They fear that the United States wants to kill them and there is a fair bit of evidence to justify their fears.
I'’m not sure I buy that, (Incompetent??) but then Ron said:
The people of the United States have very little to fear. You live on a large island that is almost impossible to invade. Even if Iran develops nuclear weapons, it has no way to get them to the United States. Terrorists have found it very difficult to strike against the United States, with only one success in a couple of decades.
Make that two, world trade centers 1 & 2. And there have been several near misses. Shoe Bomber. Gel Bombs. Others we may never know about. There'’s a problem, if they want to kill us, they are patient, they will strike, and they will use nukes next time, they will try to wipe out NYC and Washington DC. There are enough "“nutters" prepared to die in the cause of Islamofacism to propagate this. It would be worse if the weak Liberal politicians in the USA ran things. They have no fortitude to stand and fight. Only to cut and run. They are weak in the face of a real threat and believe that hiding and surrender is the right approach. In a soft way they represent the viewpoint Ron propounded.

Then Ron said:
I suspect that American culture has far more to fear from the corrosive growth of state power and the false gospel flowing out of Hollywood.
AMEN. But Johnny Depp isn't threatening us with a nuke. His threat while dangerous is being neutralized in that that we are winning the battle against what comes out of Hollywood.

Ron goes on:
First of all, I need to point out that terror is the weapon. It is a weapon used by some Islamic groups, but the United States military also uses terror as a weapon. A one-ton bomb dropped from a B1 bomber causes just as much terror as bomb let off by a suicide bomber. The difference is that the B1 pilot has better technology than the suicide bomber, so he can cause terror without risking his life. If the latter had the technical ability to hit his target without risking his life, he would probably do so. However, they both cause terror to the people they target. Islam does not have a monopoly on terror.
My response: if you live in those countries or areas of hatred for the USA you live under this threat (for a time), BUT no B1s are dropping bombs anywhere today. When does the next terror attack happen in Chicago or LA? We have ceased bombing them. The terrorists do not call a cease-fire and will not unless they are dead or changed spiritually, both of which must be the goal. They don't look to the sky in Iraq or Afgahnistan and fear the next B-1 is about to fly over today to bomb them. In the USA we do look up, every day. Every time I go to the airport I'm reminded of what is happening. I turn the news on with an eye toward what 9-11 style news flash will come next.

America thru no fault of it's own making has become defacto like Israel. There aren't any jews strapping on bomb vests and boarding palistinian busses or buses in the Hezbollah controlled areas of Lebanon. And there are no Israeli planes flying overhead bombing them today. Ceased fire. BUT, without constant vigiliance, without aggressive response as they did a couple months ago, there would be no peace in whatever form at all. The USA didn't declare this war, but we will fight those who have declared war on us. Israel didn't declare this war, but they fight to defeat those who want to destroy them. I think Ron's view of this struggle is short sighted in many ways. Good in theory, poor in execution.

Then Ron says
Secondly, we need to understand that both Islam and Christianity are expansionist religions. They both claim to have a monopoly on truth. They both want the whole world to accept the truths that they hold. This fact puts them on a collision course.
I am confident that in the end the gospel of Jesus will be successful, not because we have bigger guns, but because we have the Holy Spirit on our side.

With That I agree wholeheartedly. I am confident in our God.
But, George Bush is our President (by the grace of God alone), and if I read the text correctly, he is placed there by God to rule in the best way he is able. I believe in President Bush. I believe he knows and trusts the same Jesus I do. So, last, to the question I asked Ron was, “"If you had the Presidents ear, what would you advise him as a man of God".

Ron says:
How should I know. I do not even live in the United States.

(I knew that Ron, I know there are very few terrorists sneaking in to blow up New Zealand, your family or loved ones. The Perspective you offer is one which seems reasonable until looking up the barrel of a gun pointed at you becomes a reality)

BUT WHAT?

Ron Goes On:
1. George Bush's role is to defend the United States. The biblical rules for this role are outlined in Defence and War. George has not been appointed as the world's policeman. Tramping round the Middle East in big boots will not bring peace.

2. God does not need to United States to complete his purposes. American civilization will not save the world. American democracy will not save the world. The United States is currently in danger of becoming part of the problem. Maybe God has stirred up Islam to bring judgment on the United States Empire.

3. Absolute security cannot be achieved, no matter how much is spent on military power. George Bush may not be able to prevent every attack. If American culture is strong then it will survive. Life will go on. The gospel will advance.

4. A relevant passage is 2 Chron 25:8:
Even if you go and fight courageously in battle,
God will overthrow you before the enemy,
for God has the power to help or to overthrow.
Before going to war, you had better be sure that God is on your side. If he is against you, the strength of your forces will be irrelevant.

To which I must reply, even if stirring up the Middle East was part of the Plan of God to bring judgment, even if "“Tramping Around" brings unease, even if we can'’t bring absolute security, For GWB to do nothing belies his oath of office and the mandate he has as President of the USA to do his constitutional duty. We have a choice, we can face them THERE with boots on the ground, or we will face them in OHIO. We can take casualties THERE with men and women who are equipped and trained to inflict casualties in kind even if they take some themselves, OR we will take casualties in California by innocent non combatant men women and children as we did on 9-11. I would rather take the battle to them. And, according to the Islamic newswires, they have imported 4000 men to die in the cause in Iraq. We used to call that flypaper on the farm. So, yes we are fighting the real enemy in Iraq. They are getting desperate. They will try anything. They will use even chemical weapons. We must stop them, destroy their will, destroy their ability to wage this war. This is growing in determination, on both sides. I can't imagine what would happen if we "Gave Up". Iran invades the middle east and Europe.
Israel ceases to exist. This is not easy but it is essential.

Like Ron, I am very confident the Gospel will go on. I also think that for the USA to less than activly pursuing a military option to create a terror detente would be irrational and perhaps for our leaders ungodly.

Long time back I wrote a series of articles on why Biblically it is essential that the war in Iraq and the War on terror is waged. That it is a Prophetic war (the stand we take now will determine the stand we take in the future when REAL pressures come) with long term implications. That we must stand against this anti-Christ spirit now or we will have to stand later but weaker.

I wrote a series of articles on this war and why it's the right thing to do, now and ultimately. They are here: pt1, pt 2, pt3, pt4, pt5

I am still convinced that what we are doing in Iraq is right, just and must be won however that looks. I think even Ron McKenzie sees more of this aspect than he lets on. This is more than important, it's supernatural.

I admire Ron a great deal. He is a treasure and a gift to the Body of Christ. I just think he misses it on this ONE issue.

Ron, keep on blogging, keep on writing, your writings on the Prophet and the Apostle are rare and insightful. But on this issue, I think the story is yet to be told.

Maranantha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gene four your kind comments about me. I am pleased you have found my material helpful.

As I listen to your respnse, what I hear, is fear, fear, fear. I find it ironic that the people of the most powerful nation on earth are so afraid.

Deep down most bullies are fearful, because they are aways afraid that they will enounter a stronger bully

Blessings
Ron

NodakJack said...

The Bushies have accomplished their goal. They have a good Americans quaking in fear. They rule by intimidation. The boogie man cometh. BOO!
C'mon N-G. Drop those preconceptions and try some "clear thought." (Some Everclear may help.) Did you hear that our dimwitted (see: dumb ass) president said "..even if Laura and Barney (a dog) are the only ones who support me, we're not leaving Iraq."
And, THAT is the man you adore? Is that conviction or delusion? Whew.
By the by...good exchange between you two. But, you both talk too long. (See: me.)

Gene said...

We're Preachers Jack, No one can shut us up! ;-))