Sunday, October 29, 2006

Generational Divides

In the last couple days I have been in two fairly large conferences.

One was Crystal Lake IL put on by Ben Peters. Throne Room Christian Conference. There were perhaps 300 people in attendance. What was most interesting was the age diversity. It was almost half and half split. Half of the people were 45 and up, the other half was 25 and younger.

It struck me that there is a whole generation of 25-45 year old people missing.

Then I was at an investment conference (Yes, I admit, I still like the idea of making money). There were perhaps 500 people there. Nearly all of them were in the ages between 25-45 years old.

Now, I suppose one could make all kinds of assumptions about what that all means. The young people were too busy being young to thing about making money so they were at the conference, and the old people were past. Those at the investment conference were too busy at business to bother with a Christian conference.

I think it may be something else. Think of who was raised and who raised those 25-45 year old kids. Post war people, baby boomers, get all the gusto you can. We, I sent the wrong message to my kids. Fortunately for the most part they ignored me.

I have great confidence and hope in this generation coming up; The half that were at the Throne Room conference and not at the investment conference. Maybe there is a move back toward righteousness. I hope so.

By the way, the band that played at the throne room conference was about 10 people strong, no one over 30, not highly skilled, but highly sold out to Jesus. It truly was a joyful noise unto the Lord. I’ll take anointing over skill any day.

No comments: