Monday, June 25, 2007

Way Stupid Religion

I'm not against Catholics.

I love the Catholic faith. But they are the harbinger of religion at it's worst.

One such dumb thing is proven by this story.

In short, A man posing as a priest is baptising a baby. The police (Spanish Inquisition) come and arrest him for impersonating a priest.

I understand the whole thing up to a point. But, when I pondering the whole deal, the great commission comes to mind.

"Go ye therefore and make Disciples of all people BAPTISING THEM (but first you must be a priest who went to seminary and who took all the vows) in the name of..........

That's the commission. But we have certainly diluted the whole idea by religion.

I'm glad none of the people I ever baptised before I became a "Minister" ever read this. They would think they weren't saved.

The churches they lead today would be very disappointed.

I guess I made a mistake taking Jesus at his word.

1 comment:

Timothy said...

Greetings! Found your post in Google Blogsearch...

"police (Spanish Inquisition)"

So, which was it? The police (the State) or the Inquisition (the Church). The Inquisition had no civil powers and never arrested anyone. You'll find a fairly accurate description of the Inquisitions here:

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/madden200406181026.asp

"(but first you must be a priest who went to seminary and who took all the vows) "

You may have confused Catholicism with some other branch of Christianity. Per the Catechism:
"1284 In case of necessity, any person can baptize provided that he have the intention of doing that which the Church does and provided that he pours water on the candidate's head while saying: 'I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.'"

http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2.htm

Catholics also accept the baptisms of most Christian churches, which also don't involve a priest, as valid and do not re-baptize.

In light of the facts, I'd argue that Catholics are NOT the "harbinger of religion at it's worst".

God bless...