Sunday, January 13, 2008

Empty Pulpits - Full Hearts, Why Can't they Get Together?

I heard about a church flooded out today and they needed people to go fix it. A Lutheran Church. It was a routine if not needful announcement, but then something Pastor said that make me startle, He said this church was pastored by a retired pastor. OK, Now, let me get this straight, he's operating as Pastor and retired at the same time. How does that work?

Oh, I kid a bit. I understand. But there is a growing emergency of empty pulpits in America. Thousands. Church of Christ, Lutheran Church MO Synod, ELCA, Methodist and to me most interesting Presbyterian. Never mind the huge vacancies in the Catholic Church. I considered linking stories reporting these huge vacancies but if you just Google the words Empty Pulpits you will get them all. Here's a brief summary.

The reason these pulpit are empty is because there are not enough pastors willing to take them. OK, I'll bite. Why. Because there aren't enough people coming out of seminary and staying in the ministry. Why? Because many people go into ministry as a Job and Not a calling.

Those people will NOT make it. They will burn out and leave an empty pulpit.

They didn't come in with a full heart. I am disappointed at the fact that the Lutheran pastor being asked the question didn't see the spirit behind the inquiry and dig a little deeper to discourage a young man from doing something he has no heart for.

If you want to fill an empty pulpit effectively you have to possess a full heart. Full of God, full of fire, full of passion and full of the desire to see God move.

Here's the real problem. Plumbers and Hairdressers both need to be licensed and both need to be part of a "Union" to get hired. Even though some of the best hairdressers and the best plumbers I ever knew learned it by life experience and loved plumbing. Bill Hepola was one such. Being a pastor is no different. The training and theological knowledge isn't that hard to achieve in 10 years of life experience. The passion will get it done.

The seminary system has become an effective roadblock that insures full employment forth Ordained pastor. Meanwhile churches founder because of lack of leadership at the Pastoral level.

What is most painful is the large number of Effective pastors and spiritual leaders willing to fill pulpits and do a great job for churches without one. I know of many who are doing good work and some who really should have a church. One such is a friend of mine who has been a pastor for a long time. He's just not credentialed in a mainline denomination. So the pulpit is closed to him that his full heart might fill. He would like to take a church, but the credentials of this 15 year pastor is not boilerplate.

There are many full hearted men of God who could and want to be pastors of churches and are experienced in doing so. They are blocked out.

A quarter of all Lutheran churches in America are about to find themselves pastorless. Empty pulpits. A large proportion of them will close.

This is too bad. Some of them might have made it if it weren't for a system that has created artificial shortages that serves only professional clergy and the seminaries that produce them. It's like dental schools that limit applicants so there is always a slight artificial shortage.

The old men are dying out. There are no new ones being produced at the rates needed. This is about to come crashing in on leaders who haven't yet faced this. They are living in 1973. Empty pulpits are about to multiply.

It's time to come up with an alternative credentialing system recognizing experience, ability and on the job training. The old boys fraternity system doesn't work anymore.

It reminds me of a great story some years ago:

A church was in need of a Pastor. One of the deacons was interested in knowing what kind of minister they desired. He therefore wrote the following letter, as if it he had received it from an applicant, and read the letter before the pulpit committee. Gentlemen:

"Understand your pulpit is vacant. I should like to apply for the position. I have many qualifications that I think you would appreciate. I have been blessed to preach with power and have had some success as a writer. Some say that I am a good organizer. I have been a leader in most places I've gone.

"Some folk, however, have some things against me. I am over 50 years of age. I have never preached in one place for more than 3 years at a time. In some places, I have left town, after my work caused riots and disturbances. I have to admit that I have been in jail 3 or 4 times, but not because of any wrong-doing. My health is not good, though I still get a great deal done. I have had to work at my trade to help pay my way. the churches I have preached in have been small, though located in several large cities.

"I have not gotten along too well with the religious leaders in different towns where I have preached. In fact, some of them have threatened me, taken me to court, and even attacked me physically.

"I am not good at keeping records. I have been known to forget whom I have baptized. However, if you can use me, I shall do my best for you, even if I have to work to help with my support."

After reading this letter to the committee, he asked if they were interested in the applicant. They replied that he would never do for their church; they were not interested in an unhealthy, contentious, trouble-making, absent-minded jailbird. In fact, they were insulted that his application had even been presented. Then they inquired as to the name of the applicant, whereupon the leader answered:




"The Apostle Paul."

No comments: