Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Fractured Conservative Christian Front

Many of my conservative friends are convinced that Christian Conservatives are universally behind Mike Huckabee for President. I wish it were true. In fact it's a pretty fractured front.

Why do I believe Huckabee is the right candidate for this time? He gets up in the morning and seeks God before anything. He listens to the Voice of God in his spirit before soulish reason. He relies on the wisdom of God revealed in Scripture in making decisions. He lives life like I do. That counts for me. I can get behind a man like that.

Many young people are becoming engaged and committed to his candidacy. I'm not young, but I'm engaged. I know that he fears God and wants to do what is right. That counts a lot for me. There is a grass roots movement afoot. Hucks Army. I'm joining up. They have coordinators in nearly every state. Even in North Dakota. This move's afoot.

Some of my best friends in the faith are passionate about other candidates. I don't argue with them, because I believe God puts one up and another down just as he said in his word. I think the hand of God just might just be on this. I'll allow HIM to do what he will do while I do what I can do.

Even as many of the old guard Christian Conservative Movement cracks up over this and the Conservative Movement wanders in the wilderness having lost it's way thru allegiance to the God of Fiscal Policy over true conservatism, Mike is a breath of Fresh Air. They call him a Rino. Republican in name only. I believe he represents the best of Compassionate Conservatism. I would rather have someone who's conservative bonafidies are questioned than a CINO. Christian in Name Only. Ir you are an unbeliever or very nominal, fine, I'll judge things based on that. But if you are standing in comparison to someone who lives life like I do then Mike wins. We voted too often for "Conservative Christians" to find them neither conservative NOR Christian. Don't get me wrong, I'm voting R no matter what. I would just like it to be an R who lives like I do.

From this article are examples of the Religious Right soft support:
After Iowa, many evangelical political leaders hailed Mr. Huckabee’s victory as a resurgence. “Not bad for a supposed bunch of demoralized, depressed, disillusioned and disengaged Reaganites,” James C. Dobson of Focus on the Family said in a statement.

But Dr. Dobson and most of his allies stopped short of commending Mr. Huckabee in particular, and Tony Perkins, president of the Dobson-affiliated Family Research Council, almost seemed to explain away the victory.

Pat Robertson is for Mr. Giuliani

Gary Bauer is for Fred D. Thompson

Paul Weyrich, a founder of the Christian Coalition movement is for Mr. Romney

My Friend John is a Christian Leader who shared his enthusiastic Support for John McCain with me. My friends Kieth and Ron are avid Ron Paul Fans. So, this is not monolithic at any level.

This tepid support from Christian Conservatives won't doom Mr. Huckabee, it will open the door for those people of passion to initiate change. I have seen this before. Nothing is as powerful as an idea who's time has come.

The word of the Lord for 2008 was pass the torch. I believe that as the old Christian Right Coalition disintegrates the new expression for truth justice and the American way will emerge. It will emerge at the hands of young men and women who are on fire for God. Be part of it. This is a battle for the soul of America.

Mike represents to me the kind of man that lives Micah 6:6-8:

With what shall I come before the LORD
and bow down before the exalted God?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
with calves a year old?

7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
with ten thousand rivers of oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

8 He has shown all you people what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Wouldn't THAT be a breath of fresh air? I think George W Bush is that kind of Man, but he isn't running. I like MIKE!

1 comment:

Ron McK said...

Gene
I am not a fan of any politician, because there can be no politicians or presidents in the Kingdom of God. Praying about who God wants to be President is like praying about which prostitute you should hire. The questions are both wrong. That is why Christians get different answers. God does not answer dumb quesions.

God does not want any of them men to be President. He want Jesus to be Lord and King and President. If we asked the Father how and when he is going to get rid of all these usurpers of his authority, we would probably get a clearer answer.
Ron