Friday, January 11, 2008

Reaching Old Rockers with Righteous Rock

I would be among the oldest of Old Rockers.  I grew up on Rock and Roll.  Still love it.  My worship love language is "still Rock and Roll to me".  I can enjoy a good hymn.  I can enjoy a nice mellow worship song.  But, the heart in my aging body beats to the sounds of  loud guitars, drums and a hammer bass beat.

I'm over 60.  Let's see, which decade of "those younger than me" loves the old songs, Loves the hymns,  Which didn't embrace Rock and Roll.  They are all in Church already.  We ran the rest off.

"As an over 50, roots in the 70's Jesus movement, rocker turned worshiper, ever seeking, almost senior child of God, I am so thankful to find your station. A Holy Spirit inspired breath of freshness. Bless you and keep on bringing it.. "
 
So, if a visitor comes to Church next Sunday will they hear music of the heart or a foreign sound they can't connect with?  When I played Rain Down by Delirious for a friend of mine who would say he isn't devout or even a non devout Christian, he liked it and said that it sounded like U2.  It does.
 
U2 is the heartbeat of many who are Christians today.  My friend Tom follows them faithfully and he is in his 50s.  Worship for him sounds like U2.  He loves that wall of sound.
 
We as the body of Christ didn't succeed in evangelizing the missing generation (35-55).  We did get them to come to Church.  They came. Once.  Then we tried to indoctrinate them into liking "Our Kind of Music".  They didn't speak the language.  Went home and never came back.  It would be as if someone invited me to a Korean Church.  I could enjoy it kinda, but since I speak not a peep of Korean I would soon leave for a Church that spoke my language.  When I was saved it seemed like you were handed a cassette of 200 praise songs to memorize and be ready to enter in to at the drop of a worship leaders chord progression.  That doesn't work any more.
 
We missed them.  I don't know if it's too late.  Let's just NOT do that again.  Don Potter from Nashville is older than I am.  He sings "I have a light" and that's the light people are looking for.
 
Let's show it to them.  Let your light so shine before men that they will see it and Glorify your Father in Heaven.  Sometimes that comes with a 4/4 hard driving beat you can feel in your feet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deuteronomy 32:31

thought you'd enjoy that.
NGB

Dr. Barry L. Kolb said...

In my Father's house are many rooms--mine has guitars, drums, and a saxophone!

Another "old" rocker! Rock On!

Anonymous said...

following the DEUT. 32:31 VERSE, I ALMOST WAS TEMPTED TO ADD MATT. 16:18, BUT THAT WOULD BE SACRILEGE. I appreciate the fact that people can worship the Lord also with any form of music, instrument, and beat. but the beat of heaven is not in the music, but in the transformed-by the-Spirit-heart. I do hope that the room prepared for me has at least a blend, inclduing some Bach, Luther theology with more Gospel than what I hear in some church music today.

Anonymous said...

Our Father's house is perfect.
It will not matter.
The heart of the soul will be in harmony, love and respect for all blessings.