Monday, June 23, 2008

Evangilism or what??

I recently was invited to visit the home of an acquaintance. He's a bigtime hobbyist and they are all expensive hobbies. Sports cars, trains, etc. He has spent hundreds of thousands of Dollars on these toys.

He and his wife are about my age. Maybe a bit older. Retired. They are not Christian except in name only. Sort of as opposed to Muslim or Buddhist. This couple are wealthy but friendless. They would love real friends. They already have all the friends money can buy.

They would be good additions to the kingdom. Financially. And since he likes to work maybe in other ways. I know God loves him and Jesus died for his sins.

Unfortunately they are not people I would seek out as friends. My friendship would be one of narrow purpose. Salvation for him and her. Manipulation. They need to be saved. That much is sure.

So, now the question is, how? I am pulled and tugged a hundred ways from Thursday with people. I don't really want to be his friend. If I were to move that direction it would be for the wrong reason.

I'm confessing my sin here. I don't know if I have the want to open another door in my life that I would rather keep closed. As it is I have to be careful to maintain boundaries with some people I am in relationship with now.

I'm selfish I know. I'm not that important. I just don't know what to do with this.
I know he needs Jesus. He's alone and filling his life with expensive things and toys and liquor and who knows what. Those are all substitutes for the real thing.
So, what of it?

Here's the quandary. I'm not interested in what he is interested in. I don't want to live in his world. I would welcome him into mine but it will look like my world complete with Jesus. If his desire is to be part of that I'm more than ready to welcome him with open arms. If not I don't think I can enter his world and feign interest where there is none.

I'm actually struggling with this and want to be real. I'm not much for phony baloney good time rock and roll veneer. I'm pretty much out there.

I'm wondering what Jesus would do. Pretend interest in cars, booze and trains or what?? Or ask for a drink of water and invite him into my world.

UPDATE:
I have decided to just be frank with him and tell him what I know and let the Holy Spirit do the rest. I don't want to be his best friend. I want Jesus to be his best friend. He can be.

No comments: