Thursday, June 26, 2008

Fifteen Reasons God Heals His People

Last night I caught just the end of the broadcast of the Florida Outpouring. Todd Bentley was teaching 15 reasons God heals. I didn't get it all. This guy got some. He got the reasons, but missed the verses in some cases. I think this is good solid stuff and some I will ponder for a while. If you need healing or know someone who does, perhaps there is meat here for feed them from. The verses that this man who wrote this is missing are obvious. I won't fill them in. But I know where they are. If you know your Bible so do you.

15 reasons:

1) The Love of God: Mathew 14:14 When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick. Todd seems to see compassion and love as similes for this example. The final thought seemed to be, “A loving God wants to heal, and God is love”

Here, I heard Todd mention prayer as in “God answers prayer” John 14:14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. If I am asking for the healing in the name of Jesus, shouldn’t I see healing, seemed to be the main point this one. Something that I thought was a very good point was this: Do we stop praying for people to be saved (not a salvation prayer, but intercessory i.e. Lord please save my son, daughter, mother, father) because not everyone is saved? We know that God wills that all should have everlasting life, but we also know, not everyone does. In them same light, Todd suggest, that we shouldn’t stop praying for healing, just because everyone is not healed.

2) Gods Word – He promises to heal us (missed this verse).

3) God Wills It – see prayer side note

4) Mass Evangelism – “Healing is the #1 tool for soul winning” John 6:22 and a great crowd of people followed him because they saw the miraculous signs he had performed on the sick. People come to be healed, all people. Whether it is Todd Bentley, Benny Hinn or some guy on street corner, people will go where they see healing. When you say this is the power of Jesus Christ along with the healings, people want to know more.

5) Missed this one all together, but I think it might be Todd missed a number J

6) To Fulfill the Prophetic Word (again missed it)

7) Faith- James 5:15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. This is not a gift of healing. To be honest I have missed this verse several times, but it is hard to argue with the word of God. I have heard faith presented form the other side. Mathew 9:21 “She said to herself, “If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed.”

8) Healing Anointing- I came in at the end of this one and missed the verse, but I will listen to this one again, because I have questions about the Healing Anointing.

9) Healing accredits a ministry – Acts 2:22 Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. This is the first time I have heard this verse used in such a manner. But if one pairs this with Mathew 10:7-8 As you go, preach this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven is near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,[a]drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give and John 14:12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father, as Todd did, then it’s not that far of stretch.

10) Healings Point to God -John6:26 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. The idea presented was that healing is a sign that leads people to a place where they can be filled. All healings, done in the name of Jesus (which Todd Bentley has said those done through him are) point to God and salvation. The people looked for Jesus because he offered to fill their hunger. Today, people are hungry for truth, love and God. The healing signs, point people to the means to be filled.

11) HE IS RISEN! – Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. If we are believe Jesus is alive (which both I and Todd Bentley do) and Hebrew 13:8 is true, then Jesus must still be our healing. In addition Jesus did not reserve this power for himself, Mathew 10:1 He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness. If we are disciples of Jesus Christ and Hebrews 13:8 is true then we have the power.

12) The Healing Commission = Mathew 10:7-8 As you go, preach this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven is near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give and Luke 2:9 and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. This is not an “or” statement it is an “and” statement. If someone is preaching the kingdom of God they should also be healing the sick. This one is plan and simple even if you leave out Mathews verse.

13) Repentance – Hebrews 13:18 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. I must have written down the wrong verse. The point here was simple; if someone is confronted with the Power of God, then the will be faced with conviction. Conviction leads to repentance and repentance leads to salvation, deliverance and, overall, a closer relationship with God.

14) To believe in the supernatural - John 11 (really the whole story of Lazarus was used) but verse 40 Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?” The supernatural is a manifest sign of the glory of God. The sign is not His total glory but part of it. Jesus said with faith we would see the glory of God and then the dead was raised. These verses were also used to point out that sometimes Jesus waits to do the miraculous.

15) God is a good God – Mathew 7:11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! God’s children are asking to be healed, why then would God not grant them this good thing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John 6 shows what people are looking for -- (most people) --- "to eat of the loaves and be filled", they did not see the "sign" behind the "sign", namely that Jesus gives His flesh for the life of the world, and that He is the CHRIST who saves from sin. When Jesus spoke of Himself as the One who "MUST" suffer and die for sin (as His real mission) people turned tail and 'walked no more with Him' (Jo. 6:66). Faith on the part of man is not a necessary condition of a miracle , as though God of Himself is unable to act without human faith. And, of course, there are those who will throw Mark 6:5 into my face to challenge the last statement. But Mark 6:5 shows that Jesus could not continue His preaching or with actions which proclaimed His Good News message where the people were not ready to accept that Gospel and the Person of Jesus . Wonder-works for the masses was not His mission.
This is not to deny miracles of God today. Yet, the main commission of our Lord is to "go and preach the gospel", "be witnesses of Me". "repentance and remission of sins MUST be proclaimed in His name among all
nations". When I am healed through surgery and post operative medicine and care, that also is a reason to lift up my heart and hands in prayer and thanks to God "in whom I live and move and have my being". St. Paul was not helped with whatever affliction he had , except that he states God permitted it for a reason. When I am weak then Am I strong. God b e praised in whatever physical state I find myself, strong, weak, sick, healthy, poor, rich, republican, democrat....oh, oh. better stop here.