Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The 92 year old man that froze to death in his home

You probably read about this man from Michigan.

This is where the Church should be involved. A good Christian Church (or perhaps even a Mosque or Synagogue) would not let this happen. I’m talking smaller churches. Huge mega Churches may not keep track of this guy. My church would. Does. It’s makes that sharing all things in common thing work pretty well.

I don’t know if he was connected. Who did his wife’s funeral? Why wasn’t that pastor in touch with him or one of his friends? Or maybe it was a civil funeral. I don't know.

About the idea that he froze in agony. I doubt that. I have almost frozen to death. It’s not agony. Hypothermia and then you go to sleep. So, that part of the story isn’t true. Ask anyone who grew up in the frozen north. Freezing isn’t a bad way to go.

The Eskimos who set their elderly out on ice floes to freeze to death (when they ask to be let go) are doing a form of euthanasia, but at least one that is painless and worthwhile. I don't endorse it but they have concluded that freezing to death is a good way to go.

I told my wife that when that times comes dress me warm and drop me off in the woods. I’ll go till I can’t any more. Or up at the top of some windy butte. I was on one on a very cold winter’s day overlooking the Missouri River north of Bismarck once as the sun set. I thought about what it would be like to just sit and change worlds right there. I'm kidding, but I have always wanted to go like Moses. OR Enoch.

ON the other hand. This is a bad deal. Lots of blame to go around. Bureaucracies run wild. They'll cure this. With more Bureaucracy.

I wonder how much more of this there will be. I just heard of a local family who’s electricity and gas has been shut off. They are burning candles and kerosene lamps at night for light. Heat is a wood stove. Food is food pantry provided. Carrying water to drink from the neighbors. Melting snow to flush the toilet. All in all they are getting along OK without Comcast.

When we were first married we lived like that. No indoor toilet. Carried water. Burned wood. We did have electricity. So it can be done. I'd miss my high speed Internet. That's a God Given Right, isn't it?

Maybe it’s time to get back to the basics. Maybe we will all have to.

No comments: