Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What is Church Unity anyway?? Where do you draw the line?

Since all this recent mess in the ELCA I have been thinking a lot about the line. I think there is a line somewhere. Who do you keep unity and fellowship with and who do you not?

Make that line too close and you become closed off from the whole of the Christian community. Jesus talked about that in John 15.

Make that line too far away and you begin ordaining homosexuals.

My brothers and sisters with whom I can have full fellowship are those who can confess the apostles creed, and believe it, who hold Jesus up as the Christ, true God.

That would leave out Jehovah's witness and Mormons I think. Certainly Satan worshipers and Unitarians. Maybe my litmus test isn't complete. But, there IS a litmus test.

So, the question is this.... HOW do we apply it? Do we just accept everyone who puts a cross on their building as a brother? One of our local taverns has a cross on it. Lit up. And I'm not sure they are filled with my brothers. Some..maybe.

I would have to hold to the admonition of scripture that a person in open rebellion of SIN to the truths of the Word of God (yes I will have to say as I see them) would have to be considered a "So Called Brother" and must be treated as such.

This is personal for me.

I just know there is a line, and where we decide to draw it matters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think 1 and 2nd Timothy gives us sound wisdom for the Church.
I have read that Brian McLarin is participating in the Ramadan celebration and wonder at that. I would really be AFRAID to do that for any reason much less for the sake of unity.

Anonymous said...

The freak tornado occurence at the convention is a sign. What do we do with this sign? Quietly follow God without corrupting his written Word.