Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I'm tired of watching Sausage Being Made

I think it’s time to shut CSPAN off. I mean unplug them. We did pretty well NOT watching every banal speech from the house and senate floor years ago. Early Reagan years.

I’m sick of Nancy Pelosi. I’m tired of pontificating pols at the podium.

We are not better off for CSpan. The vote in the house on Sunday proved that it’s all a sham anyway.

Let them go back to smoke filled rooms. Let the deliberations go on without the sickening grandstanding.

Sure, CSpan will have other crap to cover. Book writers. National Press Clubs. Inaugurations. Lying in state video. The normal stuff.

BUT let’s let deliberations be deliberations.

I listen to Mark Levine yesterday. He read something from Benjamin Franklin. You can read it here.

What struck me was this:
Thus I consent, Sir, to this Constitution because I expect no better, and because I am not sure, that it is not the best. The opinions I have had of its errors, I sacrifice to the public good. I have never whispered a syllable of them abroad. Within these walls they were born, and here they shall die. If every one of us in returning to our Constituents were to report the objections he has had to it, and endeavor to gain partisans in support of them, we might prevent its being generally received, and thereby lose all the salutary effects & great advantages resulting naturally in our favor among foreign Nations as well as among ourselves, from our real or apparent unanimity. Much of the strength & efficiency of any Government in procuring and securing happiness to the people, depends, on opinion, on the general opinion of the goodness of the Government, as well as of the wisdom and integrity of its Governors. I hope therefore that for our own sakes as a part of the people, and for the sake of posterity, we shall act heartily and unanimously in recommending this Constitution (if approved by Congress & confirmed by the Conventions) wherever our influence may extend, and turn our future thoughts & endeavors to the means of having it well administered.


Maybe it’s time to turn off the cameras?

1 comment:

rbb said...

Better to turn off Mark Levin.

Why not try some nice music instead?