Saturday, September 11, 2010

Working out your salvation with fear and trembling

I don't think there has been a more intellectually challenging and difficult task than sorting thru the reality and falsehood in Christianity. Despite what some people think, it takes perception and intelligence to come to true faith in Jesus. It's not just simple acceptance of what people tell you.

It is said, don't let anyone should on you. It's extra true as a Christian. When people are new they have all kinds of shoulds and shouldn'ts. As time goes on and they become mature, as they worked out their faith with fear and trembling (not reason) until they come to the point that there is only ONE point. That is a personal intimate relationship with the Living Jesus and with others who also have that relationship. The fact that it all gets complicated by church and rituals and buildings is tertiary. Church just happens to be the place where I run into those people mostly.

And the challenges never stop. I am constantly wrestling with theological issues that are more and more difficult as they present themselves. I find no other intellectual/spiritual exercise as rewarding as the one in which I am engaged; not politics, not economics not even horticulture. They are comprehensible in the end. Not so with Christianity. The wholeness of the truth of the Word of God and how that relates to all of us is amazing and gives great reward in the struggle. Even if I never arrive at the fullness of truth this side of the veil.

That's why whenever unbelievers go off on Christianity or some aspect of the faith with some frankly inane opinion I almost never engage in the discussion. They can't possibly even comprehend what I might say. It's kind of like arguing economics with people who haven't wrestled with the theories and practices of economic schools of thought or tested them against reality. Why bother? If you haven't earned the right to discuss it by working it out, you really don't have an opinion, OK you do, but it has no validity in the arena of ideas. Such an opinion expressed only demonstrates the lack of intellectual depth the one who expresses it really has.

I run into this in debating college professors and theologians with PhD's. They are sometimes at the outset dismissive of what I say. Over time, I gain their respect, but it comes only after I demonstrate pretty rich understanding. It's a tough shell to crack. Education can be dangerous. People actually believe what they were taught and haven't yet worked it out for themselves. IF I have to approach a situation and need counsel, I will take practice over theory every time. Experience over education. Character over intelligence. It doesn't mean that I won't factor in theory, education or intelligence. It must follow a knowing because you've been there.

No comments: