Thursday, January 20, 2011

Your Destiny will either Double or Half based in large part on whom you marry

Your Marriage, Your Career

I have been thinking about some of the business advice I have given lately to clients and friends. One in particular sounds out of place. It doesn’t fit neatly in the “business” category but in my experience it has more to do with business than most any other nugget of help I have both given or received from someone. Perhaps the greatest impact in my business career has been whom I chose to marry.

Your best business move might be whom you marry

I cannot tell you how fortunately I am to have married well–”Way out of your league” as a friend once reminded me. This personal decision has had a greater impact in my business career than any other single choice. Being married to Gwen has allowed me to pursue my dreams to a degree I would never had done alone, and much less if I had married a lesser person. Marrying well will:

Provide encouragement to to pursue your dreams

Give you the confidence to move forward

Create a safe place you call home

Bring balance in an ever-demanding world

Love you for who you are, so you can be all you’re destined to be

But the opposite is also true when we choose poorly and find ourselves in a relationship that

deflates,

demands,

mistrusts,

and doubts.

Sadly, I’ve been around brilliant men and women who cannot pursue their God-given dreams because they live in the throws of relational chaos, trying to manage a difficult relationship while letting life’s opportunities slip away.

I hope you’re reading this and thanking God for your spouse. Perhaps you’re single and considering your options. For some, this post comes too late. Maybe some can make a case of being able to succeed in business despite their difficult marriages, but I can only imagine the extra amount of energy it would take to make that work. And how much more could they accomplish if they had a safe, encouraging place to call home?

How’s the most significant relationship in your life affect what you do?

No comments: