Sunday, October 30, 2011

A note to a jobless friend

An old friend is out of work. Discouraged. I wrote this note to his loyal and loving wife to encourage him. I hope it did. Then I thought, maybe there is someone else who needs some encouragement. My friend is about my age, out of work and feeling low. I know how he feels. Here's what I wrote:

I know how disheartening it can be. I was out of work and nearly bankrupt at the age of 58. Business had closed. So had the church I was leading. It was painful. That was in 2002. Today...life is very different.

In 9 years I have come back stronger than ever. There is hope. It might mean a whole new thing. God has a way of slamming all the doors shut except the open one named destiny. One thing I know, at his age, a Job is not the answer. Jobs don't work anymore.

Get his skill set out and see where they fit in. IF it was guaranteed he will never find another job for the rest of his life, then what would he do to make any money at all? That is the new reality. Start doing that and if a "Job" shows up... that's a plus. It's what I had to do when it all came crashing down. I am more focused than ever. There is HOPE...but it's not in a job.

He knows where his true hope is...he will find it again.

No comments: