Friday, February 24, 2012

Robert Blackburn

A young man got called into the Pastor's office one day. As he stood there before the desk, these words were spoken to him: "Marcus, I'm sorry we are not going to hear your beautiful voice anymore in our church choir." The young man appeared somewhat stunned and asked why, what have I done. He was told that he had grown his mustache back and even though it was a small one, it was against what he had required of the men in his church. I remember the young man trying to reason that he had understood the overseer to say that he didn't see anything wrong with certain particular men in the fellowship having one. Well, it was agreed that the overseer had indeed said that but he didn't agree with the overseer. The young man was suspended indefinitely from the choir. His was a beautiful voice, an humble spirit. He was one of our best voices. Tears began pouring down my face, I couldn't stop them. I shook with great sobs as the young man was dismissed. He left and walked away, twisting his hat in his hands. I don't remember seeing him anymore in church after that. (The name has been changed. The account is all too real.)

No comments: