Sunday, November 16, 2014

Are You Watching Too Much Football?


By Jason Gay
Quick quiz question. Between college (unpaid pro football) and the NFL (paid pro football), how much football did you watch on television this past weekend?
A. I watched only the football that was absolutely necessary—you know, somewhere between 55 and 60 hours.
B. Not a lot. Just watched, let’s see, parts or all of Auburn-Texas A&M, Oregon-Utah, Ohio State-Michigan State, Alabama-LSU, Steelers-Jets and the end of Niners-Saints. OK, and Giants-Seahawks. And Bears-Packers. Oh and some Red Zone channel. And most of “Earl Campbell: A Football Life.” But that was it.
C. I didn’t watch any football, I went for a sunrise hike, had long conversations with my children, and hand-built two wooden chairs. OK, none of that is true. I watched TCU-Kansas State, Baylor-Oklahoma, Cowboys-Jaguars and Broncos-Raiders. I haven’t spoken to my children since the 1980s and the only furniture in my living room is a case of Old Milwaukee empties and a beanbag sofa.
D. Detroit Lions are 7-2!! What was the question?
America Can’t Seem to Shake the Mandatory 55-60 Hours Per Weekend of Its Favorite Sport
online.wsj.com|By Jason Gay

No comments: