Sunday, November 16, 2014

Scorning base degrees

From Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. Brutus Speaking alone in his Orchard about Julius Caesar.. early on the Ides of March before he stabs him dead. Act 2 Scene 1
More than his reason. But 'tis a common proof,
That lowliness is young ambition's ladder,
Whereto the climber-upward turns his face;
But when he once attains the upmost round.
He then unto the ladder turns his back,
Looks in the clouds, scorning the base degrees
By which he did ascend.

A more understandable translation of Shakespeare's rumination for Brutus early in the morning in his orchard:
""But everyone knows that an ambitious young man uses humility to advance himself, but when he reaches the top, he turns his back on his supporters and reaches for the skies while scorning those who helped him get where he is.""
I was reflecting today on the many young ministers who I helped along the way. Doors I opened for them. Contacts I made in their behalf. Generosity shown. Financially and otherwise. YET, now that they have become "big stuff" they barely know my name. I have become the base degree by which they did ascend to the top rung. They consider me with scorn, unless I show up and make a nice offering.
I'm not angry, I will continue to help young men and women advance. I only wish that among Christians it wasn't so.. but it is. We are no better than the world in our ceaseless thankless selfish ambition. Or why do we have so many "Apostles"?

No comments: