Friday, January 23, 2015

I promised to offer up some business concepts.


When people ask me what I do, sometimes I answer with "I'm a broker". That seems to settle it for most people. What does a broker broke? That is the real question. A broker is by definition anyone who buys something and resells it. OR someone who facilitates the sale of something someone owns and gets it sold to someone else for a fee.

bro·ker
ˈbrōkər/
noun
noun: broker; plural noun: brokers

1.
a person who buys and sells goods or assets for others.

A broker must necessarily know much about the things he or she is buying or selling. If it is a good deal. If there is margin available. If there are enough buyers. If the source of supply is there. You can't or shouldn't try to broker something you know nothing about. I for instance would not try to broker art. I know nothing much about it. Yet I have a friend who is fundamentally an art broker. I do know about nursery stock so I am successful at brokering such. I am knowledgeable about cars and trucks.. so I broker them sometimes. I am not knowledgeable about furniture so I don't broker that. You get the drift.

The vehicle you use to broker what you broker is wide open. I use the internet, fax offers, email broadcasts. I used to use catalogs. Don't much any more.

Most brokerage environments are virtual. No storefronts, no brick and mortar.

So what do you know a lot about that people buy or sell? What can you broker? I'm betting if you think about it for a while, you can come up with some things you are an expert on. Do that. You don't need a permit to sell things. Just knowledge. And one more tip, buy low, sell high.

No comments: