Monday, April 25, 2005

Friends I have never met

I have come to appreciate the world of Blog. I read several every day. They come in 6 categories (my opinion)

1. Opinions on current events

2. Links discovered surfing the Internet and reading the news

3. Personal experience and observations

4. Things people are angry or irritated about

5. Comments on other people’s blogs

6. Original opinion, prose and sometimes poetry

I read blogs that others recommend. When I see a blogroll I click down it hoping to strike gold. Only a very few make it to my personal bookmark list. Here’s why:

My favorite types are those comprised of mostly #’s 3 and 6.

I almost never read #’s 5 and 2. (I’m guilty of doing this myself however)

I don’t mind reading 1’s and 4’s but they have the potential to be tiresome.
(Sometimes I do this, I need catharsis too.)

I enjoy those that are transparent, personal, and elegant. My first read every day is Julie Neidlinger. I have never met her, never talked to her on the phone and other than a few emails back and forth not communicated with her much. But she is a part of life, as I know it. I guess people felt that way about Mike Royko in the dead tree press years ago. Every day people had to read what Mike had to say.

This is better, more current and I would miss her if she stopped. She has no peer I have found to date. I hope to be a good as she is at the Art of Blog in this lifetime. I love this new art form. I’m glad to be a little part of it.

1 comment:

Julie said...

You are very kind. It's like having my own cheering section.

And I loved Royko. I have a dog-eared book or two of his columns.