Thursday, May 26, 2005

A Tribute to Marvel Rudebusch Lee on her 80th Birthday

I don’t know her as Aunt Marvel. She is my aunt. Wife of my mother’s brother Mancel. But I always just knew her as Marvel. Because, well, that’s what she is. Now she has finished 8 decades and is in her ninth. I don’t know all the details of her life as her children do, I do know it has a lot to do with Scandinavia.

A few brain cell snapshots:

I remember a Thanksgiving in Ortley SD (or Waubay) with her folks, the Rudebusches. Warm, Cozy, oil stove, love, peace, joy. It’s only a fragment but the sense of it is still tangible. She came from good people.

I loved going out to “Jim’s”. My cousin who I loved and still do. He is/was the oldest. The sand hills were magic. Perhaps not to those who farmed that tediously dry land. But to my cousins and me it was an adventure without peer. You could strike water with a shovel. The blowouts provided a thrill to an 8-year-old equivalent to any amusement park ride. Marvel and Mancel’s farm in the Crescent Sand hills South of Oakes ND was fun.

I remember her on Ranch 7. Chaos of kids, Sunday meals, equipment, silos, pigeons, and the duck slough. One time, ONCE, lutefisk dinner. In the “Old” house. Came in the house while the lutefisk was in full glory. The German half of my stomach craved the better tastes and smells of sauerkraut, blutwurst, and Limburger. I don’t remember how much I ate. I do remember it was less than my mom wanted me to. I really more enjoyed it more when we had pot roast, Government Cattle Mancel called it. It tasted a great deal like venison. Of course that would be impossible since they were out of season and…… OH.

There was so much to do outside in the FRESH air. We kids headed out no matter the temperature. We weren’t run out. We always were welcomed back in when it got too cold. Marvel kept peace in the cacophony without yelling. It’s her nature.

Her resiliency at the loss of Dick (her second son) is an example of dealing with loss in a way that honors the departed by keeping on with life. Having been with so many who mourn for the rest of their life at the loss of a child without ever recovering I admire Marvel for her example.

Marvel did a lot of things right with her children. I see those cousins of mine, her children, and I am astounded at the solid contributing significant people they have become. I take nothing away from their father. His blood runs in my veins. But she can stand proud of her offspring: PhD’s, Elders in Church, Managers of Business, Teachers, Mothers and wives; Competent self-supporting contributing members of the world’s population. Isn’t that all anyone could ask?

When her “Man” died a few years ago people watched. What next for Marvel? Now they Marvel. She lives independent, Red Hat and all, friends, church, contributing. I’ll bet there isn’t a day goes by she doesn’t miss him a little. I would hope that in my case. But she has made these years of value living them as we all hope we can at the time when we meet those calendar turnovers 80 times.

So lead on Marvel. YOU ARE ONE!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hi Gene,

My mom (Dixie) sent me a link to your entry about my grandmother Marvel. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend her birthday celebration because I was in the states not too long ago. I enjoyed reading your memories about my grandma. She is a marvelous woman and it sounds like she had a wonderful celebration! Thank you for sharing. - Susan Klein-Holmen