Saturday, June 25, 2005

Revenge of the Sithuation

So, I saw Revenge of the Sith tonight. Free ticket city. Friends gave them to me. Peggy wouldn’t go. I got my money’s worth.

Not all bad. Not all great. Here’s what’s up in my opinion:

Not so great:
  • I’m confident there was an early brainstorming meeting with people who had to sit thru all the films and compiling a list of loose ends to be tied up. Then the script was written to that end. It was laborious going down the mental checklist of each and every loose end being tied up.
  • 50% of the time being dedicated to light saber fights. Enough already. Action is nearly always an excuse for being plotless.
  • I’ve been a dad. Anikin and his wife doesn’t work. Weak premise to explain the move to the dark side.
  • Samuel L Jackson is a great actor except here. Wassup.
  • We could have used just a little more Jar Jar Binks to irritate us. Just a little.
  • Yoda, learn to speak English or whatever they are going to talk in the 25th century. Grammar 101. Verb before subject, Verb before subject. Got it?
  • If you want to talk German where the verb is at the end fine, talk German.
  • I see the Bush allusion. Security, peace, destruction. No wait, that’s in the Bible. In fact, Lucas is a student of Old Testament. That’s what the first Star Wars was.
  • I guess if you’re a liberal any negative image looks like Bush. If a hammer is all you have everything looks like a nail.
  • How do you fly around all that hardware (city scenes) and not run into each other? I don’t think that’s real.
  • In 2525 you would think a prosthetic hand would be less obvious. I mean, remember Luke Skywalker’s. It looked just like a real hand. Come on.
  • Do we really need bad PA systems in the senate hall in 2525. I’ll bet they figure out how to do this by then. Trust me.

ON THE GOOD SIDE:
  • I liked ONE fight scene. Yoda and the Chancellor. Thought it was good.
  • The buildings in the city were spectacular.
  • I liked the Skywalker penthouse. I could move in there. Of course I didn’t see the kitchen.
  • Strongest character was the chancellor. Bad guys are easier to play.
  • The various rocket ships and flying devices were terrific. Very creative stuff. Of course they all make noise in outer space. How’s that work again?
  • The sunset at the end on Tatooeen had to been filmed in North Dakota. Only in North Dakota are there sunsets like that.

I think they populated the characters with people from the Bar Scene from Star Wars original. Another loose end. It was good. I wish Worf was in this. He could kick some butt.

I hope that’s the end of the end. Now it’ll be the box set of DVD’s with extra minutes of all the episodes with cuts back in. That’ll make it even longer and potentially boringerrr.

Don’t buy me one for Christmas please.

No comments: