Sunday, June 26, 2005

Public Radio Lament

OK, I admit, this is one of those I remember when posts. It was 1973. I was near Grand Forks ND on a sales call. I was tuning around the radio dial trying to avoid both kinds of music, country and western and happened across an AM frequency with dink da dink da dink…. All things Considered with Susan Stamberg. In fact in 1976 I visited NPR studios in Washington DC and met Susan and Bob Edwards. I’ll never forget it. When a story was done Susan would say, bring up the “dinks”. Dink Dink Dink………

I was a hardcore fan. Clever, intelligent, insightful, right questions. Public Radio became my friend. A few years later I began faithfully following the woes of Lake Woebegon. Went to live shoes. Bob Edwards morning edition with Red Barber. Wow. I matured with these folks and love them today.

I pretty much listened ONLY to public radio. When KDSU (North Dakota State’s campus radio) went full power and they began to play very alternative acoustic stuff I was hooked.

So other than owning a Volvo (which my brother Steve did, he let me drive it) I was a classic NPR nerd. I even owned a corduroy jacket with leather elbow patches.

But like religion Public Radio began to change or maybe I did. It began to take a position. It began to advocate. It began to see it’s franchise as balancing the right wing in this country. Younger more liberal outspoken voices moved in.

All Things Considered still does great. Morning Edition does OK. Weekend Morning Edition (Saturday with Scott Simon) is good. But Sunday Edition with Leanne Hansen, Diane Reems, and several others have just lurched to the far left nuthouse.

Oh they have their apologist ombudsman who is on Talk of the Nation with Neil Conen who is supposed to allay fears that they are left leaning. NOT!

So now the feces has hit the fan. Public broadcasting is about to enter the free market. I’m not sure this is good. I’m not sure this is bad. I am sure this means (as Adam said to Eve as the left the Garden of Eden) things are going to change.

Here’s what I hope. Housecleaning of really leftist types. We can live without them. Others more mainstream working harder for balance. When balance is needed try harder to get voices from the right who really represent the right. I’m constantly irritated by the religious voice being some pinhead without faith from a school of theology at an Ivy League college. They know nothing about God.

Now when they have their pledge drives I’ll feel better about sending money. I have up until now felt like a pagan co conspirator supporting evil liberal public broadcasting. They have been blatant in promulgating a view I abhor and I send them money. Come on PBS, make me feel better about supporting you. I won’t feel like I’ll have to wear a mask or send it anonymously.

And, lets see some exits of leftist, pro gay, pro abortion, anti religion folks and get a little more in the center. OK?

I was there before you were, who moved? You can do better.

1 comment:

Dr. Barry L. Kolb said...

NPR has spun a bit too far to the left for me as well. But I do listen "religiously" to CAR TALK and Michael Feldman's WHAT DO YOU KNOW.