Wednesday, August 31, 2005

False and Real Charity in Times of Crisis

I am intolerant of false charity. Writing big checks with your mouth that no one can ever cash. The New Orleans humanitarian crisis is one of these that brings out the best and worst in real and false charity.

The common man in America is very generous. They dig deep and give unselfishly. I wish I could say the same for much of governmental and corporate yokels who take big long bows for their fake charitable spirit.

REFUGEES - AN ANSWER TO DEPOPULATION?
We have a refugee crisis on our hands. I know something about refugees. I have brought them over from Sudan, Kurdistan, and Romania when it was communist. I have made employment for them. I have housed them. I have put my house and heart at their disposal.

Now we have a refugee crisis of tremendous magnitude. The southern states are busy absorbing these refugees for the year or two they will need to be taken care of. I think those of us in Rural American and the North need to step up to the plate. No free lunch, but there are schools in rural American who need students. These refugees have kids needing an education. There are jobs these refugees can do. They may be menial but they can pay something. I am guessing they will maintain residency in their home state and the support they will receive will help.

Now is the time for all those who have whined about depopulation in rural America to do something about it. Repopulate with refugees. Some may even stay. Don’t bring these folks to our overcrowded and expensive cities. Use this as a leapfrog to show off what rural America offers. Step up Buffalo Commons!

DIG DEEP – GIVE
The press generated by the publicity machinery for Wal-Mart (and others) who gave the Salvation Army ONE MILLION DOLLARS frustrated me. Wow! Sorry, I’m not impressed. Let’s see, last year Wal-Mart made $8,861,000,000. So a Million is .012% Really big hairy deal big spender.

Maybe we should all follow Wal-Mart’s sterling example of fake munificence. On my net income if I gave at the same rate it would be about $7.20. Do you think the MSM will fall all over themselves to applaud me for my great generosity? Don’t hold your breath.

None the less, in spite of the fake charity of corporate America, give anyhow.

Let’s show real charity. We can’t count on anyone else other than ourselves and God anyway.

No comments: