Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Crunchy not Squishy

I have had a hard time conversing with liberal friends about how I come to the views I do.  They are mine, they are clear and they are not Republican.  I am a Republican voter but I am more like a great number of conservatives.  We are emerging from the woodwork.

 

I have for a long time been very critical of Wal-Mart.  That has been criticized by some of my Republican and conservative friends.  I have other views that are counter to conventional thinking on the part of republicans.  For instance, I am against the capitalist concept that it is OK to pay people the least amount you can to increase profits.  There is a price for low wages.

 

I am not afraid to speak out against thing that my President does when I think he is wrong; like the port deal, the Prescription Drug Plan, parts of the Patriot act, and trying to save a failing public school system (it should be abolished) .  On the other hand, he is right about so many things and I trust him so much to do right things like his Health Care proposals and the war on terrorism so that he merits my trust.

 

I have been interested to read reviews of a book and a philosophy  about conservatives like me who do not follow lock step with the mainstream.  I have for a long time thought we would take over ultimately.  I believe we will. 

 

I don’t shop at health food stores much, I don’t wear Birkenstocks except in summer, and I seldom hesitate to use fertilizers or chemical sprays.  But I am conservative and I do not resemble some of the suits who occupy power in our country.  So, unless you mistake me for who I am, I am a big fan of Edmund Burke.  So maybe I am a Birkenstock Burkean. 

 

Look out Republicans.  We are everywhere, and we’re taking over.

 

No comments: