Monday, March 27, 2006

An Exorcism Story

Warning, if you have come upon this and are not a believer in Jesus what you are about to read will freak you out.  This is not meant to be sensational but faith building for Christians.  I write this for friends of mine who need to see what the other side looks like so as they walk out their faith they are confident in Jesus.

 

I have been part of and conducted exorcisms.  I don’t say that pridefully.  I don’t enjoy them.  But I hate the devil more.  The excerpts from this article is about a decidedly non Christian exorcism.  Very new age.  Very strange.  But as I read it, a real experience which parallels what I have seen and experienced first hand.  I hope you read it without judgment.  My purpose in publishing this controversial article is to open you eyes to the reality of the devil and his work.  We are instructed NOT to be ignorant of his devices.

 

The young woman in this story traveled all the way to Peru to experience a drug-induced exorcism.  The crime is that in many good Holy Ghost filled fellowship she could have been set free without the danger.  She chose otherwise.  I will publish notes from the article.  But as you read this please understand this, these events, these visions, these experiences are going on every day among people who know how to do battle with demonic oppression and possession.  The Blood of Jesus and the Name of Jesus is more than enough.  I’m always puzzled that people who are oppressed will try everything else except Jesus.  It seems too easy.  They worry how it might look.  So off they go to Peru and ingest some toxic substance to deal with the demons in their life.  It’s crazy but we live in such a world.  So hang on your hat, here goes:

 

I've told no one this time—especially not my family. I grew up among fundamentalist atheists who taught me that we're all alone in the universe.

This explains her hesitancy to deal with this by the power of the cross.  It’s too easy and too counter to her upbringing.  Isn’t it sad?

 

I knew there were some stubborn enemies hiding out in my psyche: Fear and Shame. They were taking potshots at my newfound joy, ambushing my successes. How do you describe what it's like to want love from another but to be terrified of it at the same time? To want good things to happen to you, while some disjointed part of you believes that you don't deserve them? To look in a mirror and see only imperfections?

She had been delivered from depression but now she is dealing with doubt.  Joy found in any other than the person of Jesus will leave you empty and alone.

 

Then on the darkest night of his life, when he was filled with spiritual despair, he says he called to God and begged him—if he did really exist—to show himself. Hamilton claims he then heard voices and saw spirits. He thought he'd gone insane. So did his psychologist. But then a trusted acquaintance suggested that he wasn't crazy at all; he'd merely opened channels to other dimensions.

The man mentioned in this story did something I commend.  Ask God to reveal himself to you and he will.  Then get connected with a body of believers who knows how to help you get where you need to go.  He didn’t. 

  

Which seemed to have an equally powerful role in alleviating my depression: It was as if I'd been shown my own self-imposed hells and taught how to free myself from them.

Most of the “hells” we find ourselves in are self imposed.  But real freedom is in Jesus.

 

The unconscious mind holds many things you don't want to look at. All those self-destructive beliefs, suppressed traumatic events, denied emotions. Little wonder that a vision can reveal itself as a kind of hell in which a person is forced—literally—to face his or her demons.

You were never meant to deal with this alone.  You need people who know the power of the Word of God to walk with you thru this.  It’s essential but dangerous alone.

 

"It's probably not for most people in our world today. You have to be willing to have a very powerful, long, internal experience, which can get very scary. You have to be willing to withstand that."

Deliverance is indeed for everyone on the earth today.  We can find peace under the shed blood of Jesus.

 

People are used to suppressing their feelings. Many mistakenly think that holding back emotions is a sign of strength and control; actually, Hamilton says, it's the opposite. Avoidance, a refusal to face painful feelings, is a weakness; unless this suppression stops, a person will never be healed of physical and psychological issues.

The healing we need, the pain we have cannot be resolved in our own strength.  We must have a vehicle.  That is the Name of Jesus.

 

The colors vanish all at once as if a curtain has been pulled down. Blackness. Everywhere.

This is what happens when you come to grips with the demonic.  The demons try to scare you.  Try to scare those who are working with you.  Darkness is best pushed back by light.  The word of God.

Dark creatures sail by. Tangles of long, hissing serpents. Dragons spitting fire. Screaming humanlike forms. For a bunch of hallucinations, they seem terrifyingly real. An average ceremony lasts about four to five hours. But in this space—where time, linear thought, and the rules of three-dimensional reality no longer apply—four to five hours of sheer darkness and terror can feel like a lifetime. My heartbeat soars; it's hard to breathe. But I have done this before. I remind myself that what I'm experiencing now is my fear taking symbolic form.  Fear that I have lived with my entire life and that needs to be released.

This I have seen more than once.  I have seen the terror in peoples eyes.  I have seen the demons myself.  Fear is the main tool of the devil.  It’s all an illusion.  People will scream and twist on the ground.

 

These negative energies are actual spirit entities that attach themselves to the body and cause mischief.

Demons will take up residence anywhere they are allowed to.  They are there to kill you.  But they have only the right given to them. You have nothing to fear but they will terrify you until they are exorcised.

 

Whenever unpleasant thoughts enter a person's mind—anger, fear, sorrow—it's because a dark spirit is hooked to the body and is temporarily commandeering the person's mind. In some cases, he adds, particularly evil spirits from the lowest hell of the "astral realms" take over a person permanently—known as full-blown demonic possession—creating a psychopathic mind that seeks only to harm others.

True demonic possession is rare but it happens.  Most of the time it is an oppression that fears the name of Jesus.  They really aren’t hard to cast out but it takes time.  To do this many time takes more time than most people are willing to invest.

 

Clouds of bats and demonlike faces. Black lightning. Black walls materializing before me no matter which way I turn. Closer and closer, the darkness surrounding me, trapping me. I can barely breathe.

The demonic which I have seen face to face is ugly, evil and dark.  Always black.  Think about that young man who killed those people in Washington Sunday morning after a Zombie rave.  When a person is oppressed by the devil they see only evil and darkness. 

 

I see dark, raging faces. My body begins to contort; it feels as if little balls are ripping through my flesh, bursting from my skin. The pain is excruciating.

Every person I have ever seen go thru this experiences a pain they didn’t expect.  That’s why they scream.  But the devil doesn’t let go easily and when he leaves he does so with anger.

 

I yell out. And now they appear to be escaping en masse from my throat. I hear myself making otherworldly squealing and hissing sounds. Such high-pitched screeches that surely no human could ever make. All the while there is me, like a kind of witness, watching and listening in horror, feeling utterly helpless to stop it. I've read nothing about this sort of experience happening from anyone else. And now I see an image of a mountain in Libya, a supposedly haunted mountain that I climbed a year and a half ago, despite strong warnings from locals. A voice tells me that whatever is now leaving my body attached itself to me in that place.

This is the part where a person needs most to have Spirit Filled believers to stand with them.  This is a difficult time.  Watching people writhe on the floor like a snake, watching them vomit, watching their eyes roll back in their heads. This is serious business, deliverance.

Haunted mountains. Demonic hitchhikers. Who would believe this? Yet on and on it goes. The screaming, the wailing. My body shakes wildly; I see a great serpent emerging from my body.

Only a naive person believes that you can fool around with the dark side and get away with it. Be very careful what you see, hear, read or say.  The demonic is always looking for a chance to attach themselves to you.

 

All negative thoughts, shamans believe, are dark spirits speaking to us, trying to scare us into reacting; the spirits then feed on our reactivity, growing stronger and more formidable until they finally rule over us. This is how, Hamilton suggests, addictions and psychological disorders develop in people.

I could preach a sermon based on this truth.  The devil only knows how to lie to us and then watch our reaction and then make us dance to his tune in addiction and disorder.  The devil prowls around like a roaring lion seeking whom he may desire.

 

"Everyone hears the voices of spirits," he tells me. "They've just convinced themselves that they are hearing their own thoughts." We must, he maintains, practice choosing which thoughts we pay attention to.

More important, we must learn to be careful what we say.  The devil doesn’t know what you think, he only can hear what you say. So reject the thoughts and ideas you know come from him.

 

"God!" I yell out in my vision. "Where are you?"

Now here’s a prayer God will answer. Ask him to show himself and he will.

But only darkness. The seemingly endless darkness. I'm getting more and more aggravated. Why do religious people always say that God is there for you when you need him? Well, he's nowhere. Just serpents and those little demon guys.

Hunger is what God responds too, this woman in the story is getting hungry and impatient.  As the deer pants for the water so her soul longs after Him.  He will respond.

All of a sudden, I realize that my fears about his not existing, about my not being able to find him, may be thoughts created by dark spirits. I release those fears and immediately I rise higher, into white realms. Through a hazy gray cloud, I can see a vision of a white-bearded man—God? Appearing like a giant Santa Claus. And while I'm sure the way he looks is a stereotyped invention of my mind, a kind of visual distillation of something wholly beyond conception, it's bizarre to be talking to him about my problems.

This is the way he appears to her because in her limited understanding it’s the best she can grasp.  God will reveal himself to us from our own understanding.  But he will reveal Himself if we are hungry enough.


"Why did you hate me so much?" I demand.  "I never hated you," he says. "You hated yourself. I have always loved you as my own child. Know that suffering is the greatest teacher on Earth. It leads us out of our belief in separation." I don't know what he means by "separation."

Now she has a taste.  He is revealing himself to her, she is discovering the personality of the Eternal father.   There’s more to be done.   She has tasted and seen that God is good.  She will not be content.

Darkness falls. I can't see God in my vision anymore. A scathing pain rises in my chest—the most excruciating pain I've ever felt. I squeak out a cry to Hamilton and he comes over, singing spirit songs. Legions of demons sail out of my body. I'm helpless before them; they contort me. I cough violently and watch as demons burst out of me, roaring, only to disintegrate in white light.

There is little more to be done as the revelation of the Father begins to complete the work.  Is this God?  The God of the Bible?  Even in a drug induced state here hunger is responded to .  He is the rewarder of those who diligently seek him after believing that he is.  That’s the God of the Bible.  It’s not his preferred way but He will.  But the Devil is there to deceive too.  Don’t go to Peru.  Go find believers who can take you to the throne for your deliverance.  They are everywhere and they are ready to minister to you.

 

Then before me this enormous image of God. He takes me in his arms and coddles me like a child. I know, unequivocally, that I am loved and have always been loved. That I matter and have always mattered. That I'm safe and, no matter what happens, will always be safe. I will never allow myself to become separated from him again.

I hope for this young woman’s sake this is true.  I am concerned that now after becoming clean she will allow new demons even worse than the former to enter.  She needs to get grounded.

 

Exorcism is real. The devil is a liar.  We must be certain to be vigilant for the roaring lion that is seeking to devour you.

 

I will pray for this young woman.  I hope she finds Jesus and becomes grounded in him never more to be prey for the enemy of her soul.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm "Winston" in the Peru Hell and Back story. Just to let you know, I spent a month in Peru injesting ayahusca with Kira and I am completly healed of a lifelong bout with chronic depression. I respect your religious beliefs and I do love you as I do all of God's creation. This work I undertook was done under safe conditions and I always felt protected throughout. While she undergoing her fight with the demonic entities Hamilton would always remind her to pray to Jesus and ask for his help. Hamilton told me himself did he has met Jesus himself. These ceremonies worked for us. There was nothing new age about the experience. If anything, it was very, very old school. Why don't you go to Peru yourself and experience something that challenges your view of the world. Whatever happens, Jesus will still be there for you.
Much Love
"Winston"

Gene said...

Winston,

I didn’t disparage the effectiveness of the initial exorcism. Here’s the problem. Will it hold without the presence of the indwelling Holy Spirit? I suppose it’s possible that Hamilton saw Jesus. I kind of doubt it. Seeing Jesus would change and stun anyone who did. See Daniel 7, Isaiah 6, and the first chapter of Revelation. I know you probably don’t believe the Bible but that will help you understand that seeing Jesus is not a light loving thing. If Hamilton did see him he would fall like a dead man on the floor.

What I am and was trying to say by way of my blog was this:

The potential for deception in these sessions is tremendous.

The danger of dabbling in this without spiritual maturity is significant.

The idea that Jesus needs help or alternatives are equal or better is ludicrous.

That seeking after a Non Christian Exorcisms is not only a waste of time and money, it is also a waste of efforts. Why in the world would anyone travel to Peru when in any decent sized town and some smaller ones there are men and women fully capable of exorcising any demon and then ministering the capacity to keep it away forever?

The potential for re-occupation of the evil spirit is significant. I’ll add you to my prayer list as well. You, my friend, are going to need it. The demons wander around for a while in the desert, but they will be back.

I wish you lived near Chicago. Maybe you do. I would very much like to meet with you. My email is generedlin@hotmail.com. Feel free to contact me.

I love you too much not to care.

Gene

Anonymous said...

I'll keep you in my prayers too. It just seems to me that you make pretty big conclusions based on no experience of what goes on at these ceremonies. These shamans have been at this work for a few thousand years in the amazon. Just a wee bit longer before Jesus came around. Why can't God talk to them? Or does God only speak to the tribes of Israel and Christians? Do you think Satan is the cause of Buddism and all other religious or shamanic traditions? I don't believe every word a religion's holy book says to me. That's why I was never hooked into Christianity. The only people I heard insisting I be saved were other Christians with all sorts of power and control issues that smacked of a cultish belief system.I don't appreciate someone using fear to get me into their superduper God club. Now, if Jesus himself would come talk to me, that's a different story. And why can't Jesus make himself appear to you? He can't control his form long enough to not kill you from the sight of him? Personally,I see God everywhere I look. God is life. God is love. Even the most negative, evil demon in the infinite is a part of God. They are not seperate from her. The Shamans know that they serve a purpose in the healing of a person.

Let's see what happens. I'll keep your e-mail and we'll see if the demons come back in a few years. I'm betting they won't. And who wouldn't want to go to Peru? The healing center was in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Experience is the best teacher. Jump out of your safety zone.
"Winston"-not my real name.