Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I'm Supposed to Join a 12 Step Program

I have liberal friends (honest). I sent a couple a review of Ann Coulter’s (of fine legs fame) new book: Godless – The Church of Liberalism.

I got back a response from one of them which made me laugh. It’s clever. He wants me to join a 12 step program to recover from being a rightwing nut conservative. It follows:

Twelve Steps
1. Admit I am powerless over my wing nut thoughts—that my life has become unmanageable.
2. I believe that liberal thought and actual open-minded intellectual discourse will restore my sanity.
3. Make a decision to turn my life over to the care of any liberal who will lead me in the path of righteousness and enlightenment.
4. Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of myself and move beyond my wing nut mentality..
5. Admit to all, to myself and at least a dozen Republicans the exact nature of my sins, wrongs and foolish thoughts.
6. Identify and destroy all my unending defects of character and commune with John McCain and Jimmy Carter allowing their superior intellect and ethics to penetrate my wall of arrogance..
7. Humbly asked the creator to remove my infinite shortcomings and fix my condescending personality. .
8. Make a list of all liberals I have belittled, admit the error of my ways and be willing to make amends to them all.
9. Make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continue to take personal inventory and when I do wrong recognize it and admit it.
11. Seek through prayer and meditation to improve my conscious contact with all liberals, make a good faith effort to listen and understand them, praying for the real knowledge I never took the time to learn and the power to finally understand tolerance, ethical conduct and the spirit of actually caring about others..
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, I will try to carry this message to others, and to practice these principles in my every day contact with Reality Based Bob and his very intelligent friends and hopefully continue it on to other people who now realize that Bush is incompetent and a real whack job..

I’m not sure I’ll join, but you go ahead without me.

No comments: