Saturday, September 02, 2006

Sincere Recommendations of Two Life Changing Books

I am a past tense reader of much in Christian Books. I have hundreds I have read and have become discouraged in the reading. When I go to our local Christian Bookstore (Johns) I peruse what is available and find most to be empty and frankly useless. Most of what is sold in Christian books, even bestsellers, are marginally Christian and barely books.

I’m not talking books that have stood the test of time, Andrew Murray, Spurgeon, etc.

I’m talking about books written by Authors of today. I buy them. I read them and I discard them. Nearly all are wastes of time. I do not buy the idea that “If we get just ONE idea from a conference or book it’s worth it all”. I even wrote one and I’m not sure of it.

I learned to take good notes in college. I can go to a conference (as I did last week) and could give any sermon I heard because I take good notes. I have boxes of notes. Most are redundant. A few are revealing. I believe only the Holy Spirit can take a truth and make it come alive just for you to be worthwhile in your life. I bought a book at the conference that Peggy read and she said it shook her. I read the same book, TWICE and I didn’t get the same reaction.

That’s the Holy Spirit in action. The reaction she had was just for her. That’s OK.

But, to the point:

There are two books that I can report which changed my life spiritually for the better. Turned me spiritually upside down. I say this because I recommend them to you.

One I read a few years ago. If you haven’t read it, do. You will see yourself and your Christian walk in a whole new way.

That book is The Final Quest by Rick Joyner.

If you google this book you will find plenty of anger and hatred on the web about this book. The evangelical fundamentalist community despises and attacks anything that rattles their little world view. This book does. You read it and you decide.

The second I read just this week. It was recommended to me by Brad Hampton of Faith Center in Rockford. He said, "Gene, This will change your life". Big claim but I trust him, so, off to Johns I went. I bought one. I read it. I’m still reeling spiritually.

There is theology in the book that I am not in complete agreement with. But for the most part it is sound in it’s concept. The purpose of the book is to ask you a core question, “What are your motives, why do you do what you do?” For the most part after reading the book I came to the conclusions my motives are not pure. I do things for selfish gain sometimes. My wife tells me I’m (I can’t say it, I must spell it) H-U-M-A-N. I joke of course but sometimes the hubris of life makes some people think they are not. Read post directly below.

The name of this pivotal work is Driven by Eternity by John Bevere

Click on the link above and scroll down to read the comments from people who have read this book. I can only say AMEN to them all.

If you are a Christian, and you want to see your Christian walk without the rose colored glasses you will want to read these two books. My hope is as a result of these you will recommend them to others. I am of the sincere opinion that the revival we all long for will come from a renewed commitment on the part of those who call themselves Christ Followers and a renewal of the fear of God.

Anything less is apostasy. I’m afraid it’s a rampant disease in the Church of Jesus today.

1 comment:

Unvailed said...

When I read "The Final Quest" about 6 mos ago it started me on a spiritual journey, that I am still traveling. Did you know there are 2 sequels to the book? "The Call" and "The Torch and The Sword." I highly reccommend both.