Saturday, September 02, 2006

Teachability and the Achillies Heel

I remember years ago reading about Hubris and how it could be the downfall of any of us. I have never forgotten that lesson. I have had to learn it so many times.

But sometimes life comes along and offers additional education. I don't think I wanted to become this smart this late in life at such a high tuition cost. I just got whacked again. I won't bore you with it but because I have sold so much nursery stock and made decent money doing so I made a really dumb mistake that cost me a nice chunk of change. Worse I can only blame one person. ME!

Why did it happen? Hubris. I know what I'm doing, I'm experienced, I'm able, I'm competent, I have it together and frankly you would have a hard time telling me how to do what I do. I know better. That makes me incredibly vulnerable to hubris. My excellence is my greatest weakness. Achilles heel. Where I am weak I am careful and make few dumb mistakes. Where I am strong I can become arrogant and confident to the point where I fall in the one area I'm best at. Achilles strikes again.

I see this with others too. I associate with many Pastors. Those who are most able and gifted many times translate that ability to believing they have answers and abilities they don't possess in other areas. Therefore they move ahead with programs and policies and fall on their face or worse do nothing at all believing that somehow things will all work out. One I am thinking about has no one he is accountable or submitted to and is on an absolute course of disaster. Forget trying to tell him. He knows better. God is on his side. I'll be there to help him pick up the pieces when he fails but it looks like he's got his thumb located directly under the falling hammer.

When I am terrified at failing I do much better. When I enter into a thing that is at the core of my ability I am unteachable. Hence I don't know I can fail and am shocked when I do.

I think we all are.

I am re-examining my life as a result of this faux pax. The net question is, What core abilities do I have that have the potential of being an Achilles heel for me?What am I so good at that life or others can't help me see the error of my ways?

That is my Achilles heel, my blind spot, my area of unteachablitiy.

What are you really good at, very competent at, excellent at, experienced in, educated of, well read in, even respected by your peers for; I submit to you, THAT is YOUR Achilles heel, your area of unteachablity. The very thing that makes you strong is your area of greatest weakness and vulnerability.

I'm discovering (again) mine. How bout you? It's not too late to start. The hammer is falling.

1 comment:

Dr. Barry L. Kolb said...

Sounds vaguely like a sermon I heard last week...a message for ALL! Renew within me a "teachable spirit." (Ps 51)