Monday, March 26, 2007

The Sin in Cynicism

Right now we have little Danny upstairs.  I'm downstairs working.  He is 8 years old.  Life to him is an adventure.  Nothing is strange.  Everything is wonderful.  No taint of worldliness in him.

Jesus said, "Unless you come as a little child you will by no means enter the kingdom of God". 

That means if I read my Bible right we are to come open, welcoming, happy to learn, not hardened and NOT CYNICAL.

I have such a real hard time with "Christians" who are cynical, seen it all before, been there done that, have all the answers, know all about it and a superior elitist attitude.  There is no place for condescension in the Body of Christ.

That description of a Christian above is exactly opposite of what Jesus was talking about when he spoke of the little children.  The Pharisees were dismissive and condescending.  So were the disciples.  Jesus was giving them a once over.  They needed it.

We have the Biblical contrast.  I am going to go out on a spiritual limb.  Being Cynical is Sin.  In particular with the things of God.

We are telling God, "I have it all figured out. There's nothing you can show me.  Don't mess with the spiritual box I've put you in.  Stay where you are." 

IF you have been stung a little by what I've just said, if you have drifted into a cynical attitude about the things of God see it for what it is.  SIN.  Repent.

He forgives the second you do.  Then go forth and sin no more. 

Come as a Child.

No comments: