Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Ghosts of Christmas yet to Come

I was at a family funeral in Watertown SD, the place of my birth. It was sad to see that the "Plaque" was not up yet. You know, the one that says,

"Watertown Memorial Hospital, Birthplace of Gene Redlin"

A little megalomania goes a long way with me.
While there we got to see aunts and uncles of many years. In the Redlin clan with relative longevity and vigor 80 is still going. 90 is not. Most of my kin work at something till 80. That means I have 18 years till I retire. My Uncle Earl worked just passed his 80th birthday. My aunt Lou is still pretty solid and go ahead at 80. Maybe it's true the new 65 is 80. I hope.
The image and words of "Prophecy" was in watching My uncles Earl and Wally both 90+ shuffle along together talking as brothers. Someone said, "There you and Steve (My Brother) are in 30 years. Not a hopeful sight.
It took me all day yesterday to shake that image. It frankly depressed me. I don't see myself there. I see that 80 year old tiger. 90? Wow.
So, I'm back on even keel.
Oh, the funeral? Dolly my dad's sister, 93.
Living long is a blessing if you live well.
Live long and prosper.
I'll buy that.

No comments: