Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Post of Complaint

Yesterday I stood side by side an 81 year old man pruning plants for potting.  Something you have to do. I'm a pretty hardy type.  I have one of those "You can't outwork me" syndromes.  I lost.  After 2000 plants by the end of the day and way more hours on my feet he won. He smiled a victory smile at me, grabbed his lunch box, and headed for home.  I wilted onto a chair in pain.
 
I'll blame it on the fact that I have the sniffles.  Of course that won't work.  If I can't work thru a little cold I'm a weenie. 
 
This morning I'm sore, stiff, still tired and now this afternoon I'm off in the truck to pick up another load of plants to get ready.
 
Oh the humanity, oh the agony, oh the pain, oh how much I love it all.
 
I'm a sick man in more ways than one.  I have this idea that if I'm not in pain the day after I work in the garden I didn't do anything.
 
Sick.
 
But, if I can do what Ed did yesterday 20 years from now I'm going to be a happy man.  I think I will and I can. Maybe I can whip some 62 year old whippersnapper's behind then and smile at the end of the day.

1 comment:

Jason h said...

Going to Cali this weekend!! We're you the one asking me about the government grants website? Here it is..Here ya go..