Sunday, May 27, 2007

Advice I'll Probably Ignore

The last few days I have been peppered with advice.  Advice on how to write better via email. I'm up for learning to write better if I think it's good advice.  I'll decide that for myself however. 
 
Then I have received advice about how to blog from another blogger,  someone I respect.  Nevertheless, I'll decide on what part of that advice I'll follow or not as well.  I am my own best counsel.
 
The reason I publish this blog is for purely personal purposes and those alone.  I am NOT trying to build readership except when I write something which I thing is significant, then I spam people who I think should read it.  They can then make the decision.  Most do.
 
I do not write this blog to make people feel good, make them happy or avoid controversy.  In fact, It seems I'm the king of controversy.  I do not enter into controversial areas to generate comments or links.  I write this blog to air out what I am thinking.  Sometimes I'm angry.  Sometimes I'm amused.  Sometimes I wax philosophical or theological.  Sometimes I have a remembrance to tell or a story that just happened. 
 
So for that reason what, how and in which fashion or format I write is my choice.  I write about things that get my attention.  If it gets yours that's fine too.  If not, well, I'll never know now, will I.  I have never been particularly critical of people's artwork because I know much I don't get.  That's a blind spot for me.  Same with how or what I write.  I don't expect everyone who reads me to love what I say.  That's the way it goes.  Just like Art or Music.  I might have lots of opinions on what might make better art or music in advice to give.  If you were amused or unimpressed with my sage advice you just might ignore me too.  That would be expected and appropriate.  Turnabout is fair play.
 
I do have a hidden counter.  I get all the hits I deserve or desire.  I'm not looking to build reputation.  This is an electronic bulletin board where family, friends and interested others can look into Geneland and see what that old guy is thinking about.
 
I somehow don't measure up to the standards of niceness or kindness that anyone wishes I did, I am sorry you feel that way.  I'll not change my stripes. 
 
I learned a long time ago that my primary gift in life was not niceness.  I have had more than one person who know me personally say, "Gene, you aren't very nice to people, but you are always kind".  I take that as high praise.  For that reason there are many who avoid me.  Pretty much out of fear that I might tell them the truth.   And, know what?  I would.  It might shock you to know I can be pretty direct (in a kind way).
 
On the other hand, those who don't fear being told in an kind way what they may need to hear will come to me for a word.  I always have one and it's nearly always encouraging.
 
That's why I was not great in a pastoral role, but even tonight in Church I spoke to several hundred people a message that may not be nice to hear, but is kind in the telling. 
 
So, as a pastor and as a nice person I'm a failure.  As a prophet and teacher I do pretty well.  I'll keep doing what I do well.
Like Popeye, "I yam what I yam and I can't takes it no more".
 
But then, I didn't create this blog 2 1/2 years ago as a way to become popular with everyone.  It appears I have succeeded.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 Corinthians 7:3-5 my brother...

Anonymous said...

The first of the Major Satanic Social Ethics is "Do whatever you want as long as you harm no underserving person"
You seem to have the first part of doing whatever you want down pat. But not caring about the negative ramifications or the harm it does others or society would seem to make you less ethical than a Satanist.

Anonymous said...

Jeremiah 48:30

Anonymous said...

Jer 49:16