Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day Flowers

Memorial Day was first a day picked for its date because it was the center of much of the floral display season.  General Logan who was in Carbondale IL selected the date which was to be May 30.  This was in 1868.  He selected it because the roadsides and hedgerows would have the most wild flowers.  This was to commemorate the dead mostly from the Civil War.
 
Now of course we have many more wars behind us.  We decorate more from the Wal-Mart hedgerow garden center.  But the tradition goes on.
 
I look around and think of how apt that day was.  General Logan was right.  So much is in bloom right now in Illinois.  If he were to pick a time of year to do this today is that day.  What's in bloom right now:
 
Peonies.  Spectacular peonies. I have some that were given me 30 years ago from Ruth Redlin in Ellendale ND.  I have moved them every time we've moved.  They are pink doubles and rich reds.  And fragrant, breathtaking fragrant.  They hate the fact that we had rain.  Hanging their heads not in shame but in recognition that breeding a flower like that and not breeding in a stem to support it is a pity.  But they are wonderful.  Thanks Ruth.
 
Clematis.  I have a half dozen cultivars in my yard.  But, there are some new ones out of Holland, doubles, composite looking that are amazing.  I saw some yesterday.  Size of a small dinnerplante. I'll have to kill something to find a place in my yard to put them, but I will.  They like sun.  I have a apple tree that if I cut it down would be a great place for a clematis.  HMMMM.
 
Daisies.  Many are later in the season.  But the roadsides are alive with a few varieties right now.  It seems like summer can't be far behind despite the normal weather on Memorial Day.  We will cook out with a hooded sweatshirt again. 
 
Weigelia.  They are in amazing bloom this year.  I love the OLDER varieties.  I'm not much into dwarf plants.  If you want them dwarf buy a shear.  Some of the Wine Weigelias are peaked in flowering.  The old vaneckii varieties give a wonderful show.  All red all over.
 
American Highbush Cranberry are still flowering.  I know it's not showy.  But, it's a regal plant with it's umbel of flat floral expression.  And knowing that what follows is the berry makes it all the better.  I like the highbush cranberry since I was skiing in Manitoba and the hillsides were lined with them all red and pendulous.  Good to eat too.
 
Queen Anne's Lace fills the eye wherever you are right now.  I know it's darn near an invasive weed but It's a great addition to any floral arrangement.  Sort of a poor man's babies breath.  It's homely later.   But, that's the way it goes.  People are the same.
 
We are just a week away from the beginning of the tree lilacs kicking off.  I have one that this year will bloom for the very first time.  The tree is 8 years old.
 
And, Roses.  The early Carolina roses are in full bloom.  Same with the Hansen's hedge and the Arkansas rose.  I planted some 50 roses this spring.  Many are natural hybrids between native roses and hybrid tea.  This will be interesting.  Native and rugosa is not unusual.  This is.
 
I also created a small bed of un patented hybrids that are about to bust out.  I'm not a big rose grower, but I like the rose. 
 
All this floral expression does not mask the reality of the day.  I have so much respect for every man and woman in uniform today, and those who wore it in the past.  I honor you all.  Your memory is better expressed in my safety and freedom than in anything I can do to decorate the place your shell resides.  But I'll do that too.
 
Have a memorable Memorial Day.

No comments: