Saturday, July 07, 2007

You're NOT getting better, you're getting older

As you know I just returned from North Dakota and a Class Reunion.  Meeting with people I knew way way back when.
 
A truth came out.  I didn't believe it in fact at first but it became apparent.
 
What you are as a young person (by the age of 30 or so) you will be more so when you are 60. 
 
Not dramatic in revelation?
 
If you are reading this and are in your 40's or 50's and you think as you age you will mellow out, forget it.  You will be even more like you were as a young adult.    This is not a curse unless it is.
 
Sure, you can change.  You should change.  You must change.  But the kind of person you are is pretty much chiseled in granite by the age of 30.  Habits after that are hard to break.
 
That means if you are bitter at 30, you will be really bitter at 60.
 
IF you are kind and gentle you will be more so.  If you are angry, you will be more angry.  If you are a cynic you will be even more so.  If you are a jokester and can't say hello with a straight face you will be even more so.  If you are cutting and critical you will be even more so.
 
I saw lots of people who I knew back when.  What they are today is an amplification of what they were.  People don't mellow out, they set up in concrete. 
 
It's kind of scary to be honest about it.  I wish it weren't.  I know what I am more like than I was.  Some good, some not so much.
 
So, my advice is become aware of who you are, who you are becoming and what that will mean to you in the long run.  It's a tough way to live.  If you are miserable now, you are going to be really really miserable later.  You aren't getting better, you're getting older.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Age does have a way of mellowing you. Anyway, I think it should. But it is really the gospel adn love of Christ that should change us through the years, in disposition, forgiveness, and the like. Being a disciple of Christ should be 'being changeable".