Thursday, October 25, 2007

If we just would grasp how insignificant we really are.

If you spend as much time in airplanes as I have you soon realize how big the world really is and how small we are. And when you fly at 500 MPH for 11 hours and look out the window you see huge expanses of nothingness and then from time to time a large city producing perhaps some effluence of smoke or smog it starts to hit you. Humanity is insignificant in the larger scheme of things.

Sure there are little pockets of something significant now and then here and there.

It helps to get a grasp on how small we are when you look from far above at the huge smoke from a couple thousand square miles of land in the
California fires that you begin to grasp what our full collective effect on pollution or global warming really is. Look at this, do you even SEE the cities?



Or when you see the picture of Hurricane Katrina from the sky just before it moved on New Orleans it hits you, how insignificant we really are.

If you drive a Prius or a Hummer, it's insignificant. If you like to same money, drive a Camry. That long term is your best bet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is also true that a dime, a single dime is insignificant.

Now if I could just get everyone in America to send me one dime….

Oh yeah, the fire came within a ¼ mile from me, it burned down my friends glass business, 2 friends homes and our 60 year old church.


.

Anonymous said...

Another thing not seen in the aerial photo is a border.

If cities are insignificant because they can not be seen, what does that say about borders?

If as you posit, we are really insignificant, why do you get all hot and bothered about people who don’t believe the same things you do?

(For purpose of clarification: I believe cities, borders people are not insignificant.)

.

Gene said...

RBB

WOW, a quarter mile. I have been in a huge raging grass fire in ND. It made me realize how little I am in the face of it all.

Glad you are ok. I thought you lived north of the fire area. Maybe I misunderstood.

This is really a tough deal. You all in CA are handling this pretty well. Ignore FEMA. Start over.

I suspect there will be some insurance programs and lending things that will make it possible for many.

BUT, not for all. California will be back. (to quote your governator)

I know what you are saying about the cities and borders, just cause we can't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. It does mean that in the grand scheme of things they may be less significant to the global system than we all put on them.

OH, and to your last question?
Why do you get all hot and bothered about people who don’t believe the same things you do?

I'll be satisfied when everyone is as enlightened about everything as I am. ;-))

Now, RBB that's a Joke, mostly.

I am less dogmatic about politics or ecology than I write sometimes.

BUT, spiritually, Jesus wise, I am pretty much of the opinion that as Ann Coulter said, The world would be a better place if everyone believed what I do about and in Jesus.

I know that sounds narrow, but if i didn't believe that as a Pastor I would be a fraud. NO?