Saturday, February 23, 2008

Luther on Reluctance of Men to get Married

I believe in God, Republicans and Martin Luther.

As a long time reader of Luther, I missed this that Julie posted. Luther was talking about marriage and about men and women. Julies point was different from the one I'm making here. From his The Estate of Marriage 1552. It reads like today's paper.

Hence, as it is not within my power not to be a man, so it is not my prerogative to be without a woman. Again, as it is not in your power not to be a woman, so it is not your prerogative to be without a man. For it is not a matter of free choice or decision but a natural and necessary thing, that whatever is a man must have a woman and whatever is a woman must have a man.
--Martin Luther, on marriage

That's all good, but the real meat is:
For this reason young men should be on their guard when they read pagan books and hear the common complaints about marriage, lest they inhale poison. For the estate of marriage does not set well with the devil, because it is God's good will and work.

To put this in the terms of a friend of mine yesterday who was talking about marriage and said, "To some marriage is a milestone, to others it's a millstone". I have often been concerned about the idea that marriage is terrible, that it's limiting or that it is not enjoyable. Nothing is further from the truth and only our modern secular culture has created this goofy pagan prejudice against marriage. Sometimes Mr or Mrs good enough instead of Mr or Mrs Perfect is the standard. I am of the opinion that he or she can become "THE ONE".

I'll admit my prejudice toward marriage is because I want every person to enjoy what I do. I do. It's a wonderful fulfilling thing to be lived and loved in a strong committed marriage. I know that's not everyone's experience. Maybe we should look back 500 years to a man who made it work and made observations on all this we can take to the bank today.

Course there's always the Biblical way to find a wife.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why did Martin nail 95 feces on a church door anyway?