Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Why I Fear for Non Charismatic Christians

I heard the interview I have linked here. It's with Bart Ehrman who's an outspoken agnostic that has become the new poster child for atheists. I listened to the whole interview - twice. I'm not convinced that Ehrman is done with God, I'm also not convinced God is done with Ehrman. I read His book (God's) and note that it's pretty tough to get away.

But, the excerpt from the interview that Dawkins so gleefully posts is telling of why I don't trust nominal Christianity as is Practiced by much of evangelical and denominational Christendom.

There is something wrong when a man who goes to Moody, does grad work at Wheaton, and even pastor's a church for a short time, is so badly grounded to drift off into oblivion like this.

I don't mean to sound mean but you don't hear this much when a person has had an encounter in the Holy Spirit with manifestations that are undeniable. That person is so completely and radically changed that there would be great difficulty to depart from the faith.

Oh, that doesn't mean there isn't backsliding, sin, rebellion. That's everywhere. It's just that there isn't the depth of belief that is needed to make it all the way when there has been no baptism of the Holy Spirit. I guess what I'm saying is if Ehrman had actually encountered and experienced God in other than intellectual assent, but had a world shaking encounter with Jesus indwelling him he would still be sold out for God.

I have many denominational and Evangelical friends who are good sincere people. My concern for them all is the requirement they place on faith that there must be a reasonable explanation, that reason in general has application. Sometimes it just means faith must be enough.

I hope as the next great awaking unfolds that the necessity of an impactful experience in the Holy Spirit will be part and parcel of every conversion. Thats how it is in the rest of the world. I'm hopeful. We won't make it without the fullness of the spirit dwelling in us with manifestations and evidence that convinces our soul and spirit of the reality of the living God.

Listening to Ehrman's interview, I was sad that he was left out. His journey is dead end.

Sometimes having a nominal denominational evangelical Christianity is worse than nothing at all.

On the other hand, perhaps Ehrman was never enlightened at all and Hebrews 6:4-6 may not apply.

No comments: