Tuesday, April 08, 2008

End of Days End of Times

Over the years I find myself honing certain truths theologically.  What that means is books I read 30 years ago as a new Christian are now relegated to the not so much graveyard. 
 
I am less and less and less likely to embrace some authors take on some theoretical outcome of end times theology than I used to.  I have not read the Left Behind books.  Don't care about them.  I did read several a long time ago.  Late Great Planet Earth.  I do and can interpret much of the eschatology writings from scripture.  I believe I do it with some accuracy. 
 
I do NOT believe in amillenialism.  or Pure Premillenialism.  I'm not a label person.  Don't think it pays to find myself in that place and don't want to use a label to put you in a place where you shouldn't be placed.
 
Here's what I believe:
Much of the writing of the catastrophes predicted in Matthew and Revelation have already happened.  72 AD.  Titus  Andronicus. 
 
But not all.
 
Some of the writings are prophetic in that we must learn from them to spot patterns emerging time and time again.  Past is prologue.
 
So I am not a PURE preterist.  I don't think it all  is over and that's it then. 
 
I do believe that there may be good evidence for a rapture.  Certainly on a personal level there always is a time when in  a deep trouble we are snatched up and taken away.  Some call that death.  It's only death if you don't know Jesus.  Otherwise "Shall we ever be with the Lord". 
 
I do believe in the Preterist theology of taking dominion.  That Christ's Kingdom is meant to be here on earth.  That Godly leadership and Godly government is better than ungodly.  I want to see every politician in the USA and around the world bow the Knee to Jesus in Worship not submission.  That's as it should be.  I have it on Biblical authority that at the Name of Jesus.....
 
The problem with the little boxes of labels we all hang on each other is we never allow for thinking outside of that little box. 
 
It is wrong for a Christian to ignore the warnings of prophecy in Ezekiel, Daniel, Matthew and Revelation.  Or Zechariah for that matter.  We must understand how the devil works.  Those are good informers of that.  We must also have faith that no matter what, God has not forgotten.  Prophecy informs that too.
 
What I am most concerned about are those who order their lives according to the latest sign from Israel or in the heavens or in  politics that causes them to think the end is Thursday.  So they live in fear. 
 
Prophecy should not bring a spirit of fear but one of a sound mind.  If I am speaking to anyone who lives under the impression that causes oppression I would advise you to take another look.  Contact me and I can help you.  It's too hard to go thru life worrying that the antichrist is under your bed.
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While reading the blog many questions came to mind, but especially the reference to 'confessing Jesus as Lord " reference to Phil. 2 (every knee will bow,, and tongue confess, etc.)caused me to bring forth this query: Is this homage of Jesus NOw operative, or is it still in the future? The word, 'confess' in newest Gk. texts is future, but an alternative reading is in the subjunctive mood. The word "bow, bend" (the knee) is definitely subjunctive. From Scripture (Col. 2:15, others) we firmly believe that Christ has already triumphed over the enemies. It's a done deal! But does Phil. 2:11 mean that ALL people and creation will ONE DAY acknowledge Jesus as Lord (at His final coming and final judgment?) Or does the text imply that people and creation "ought to" "should" (as often the subjunctive is translated) believe, acknowledging Him as Lord NOW? The text says that Jesus humbled Himself by suffering and death on the cross and became exalted "SO THAT" (Greek, hina in 2:10) "all might (should) confess Jesus as Lord", and that, of course, continually until the end of time, when then some WILL HAVE TO do so on the left side of the 'gulf", too late for salvation.
H.A.H.

Anonymous said...

your comment, "Christ's kingdom is meant to be here on earth".......What do you mean by that? Yes, there is a certain 'kingdom' here on earth - it is the one holy fellowship of Christian believers (Eph.2:19-20; and 1 Corinth. 3:21b-23). This is a kingdom of grace (not yet 'glory') with its citizens living by faith, not seeing their King, but believing in Him (1 Pet.1:8-9) And their life is "hid with Christ in God" (Col.3:1). I do not think that the Scripture teaches that Jesus is coming back to establish an earthly kingdom, as some early and later theologians preach and write about, to the tickling ears of many people.
Also, re the statement, "much of the catastrophes (in Matt. 24) have happened." I agree, but WHICH catastrophe or catastrophes (has) (have) NOT happened?
.... H.A.H.