Friday, June 20, 2008

Tech Support for Idiots From VERIZON WIRELESS

I have had a verizon phone for over 10 years.  This year is my last. 
 
There are several reasons.  Cost.  Verizon is more expensive than other phone plans.  Contracts.  I don't like the way they do them and hope the government clips their contracting wings soon.  Not crazy about government intervention but less crazy about the arrogance they show as a company.
 
COVERAGE.  Here's my prime complaint.  Verizon mobile phones coverage map is a joke.  More than a joke it's an outright lie.  I can drive any Verizon tech or customer a dozen places within 5 miles of St. Charles IL and challenge them to find a signal.  I used to get good service 7 years ago.  But as Verizon "Improved" service it got worse and worse.  I recall once when I did the network update I went from 5 bars to 3.  I begged Verizon to take me back.  They said they couldn't and that it was impossible.  I should get used to bad service.
 
So bye bye Verizon.  I'm not the biggest customer you have and you probably don't care but as you have become larger and more dominant you have grown worse and worse.  Verizon has problems.  Verizon is bad for business, their own and others.
 
THE LAST STRAW:  I called Verizon tech support and spoke to a nice lady. I recognize that tech support in America is only one of two options any more.  One is in India with people for whom the English language is at best optional.  Oh they all have "Anglo" names like Sheryl.  But who's zooming who? 
 
The other tech support option is a person like I got at Verizon who's English is also optional.  Let's just say the language is Urban American.  Let me axe you mizter Retlin.  I can deal with that.  Like the guy on the Airplane in the movie of the same name I speak it...
 
So she nicely told me that the reason I have so many dropped calls is because my phone is old and if I were to get a new phone and sign up for two more years of service all my problems would be over.  Wait I said, "this phone works, it's electronic, that means it's either on or off, not partially worn out.  There is no partially worn out in electronics.  Plus this phone is less than 2 years old."
 
Her support screen at Verizon clearly said that if a person complains about dropped calls, poor reception and a myriad of other problems that the answer is a new 2 year contract and a new phone.
 
I guess I must have sounded like an idiot when I spoke with her since I am confident that on the menu was an option that said:
 
"IF the customer sounds like an idiot click here" 
 
That took her to a screen that treated me like one from then on.  Oh I had a little girl talk to me before and she (being educated in the public school systems and with a real attitude dismissed me).  When I redialed I got urban American help.
 
So, for that fine lack of customer support, for trying to sell me a new phone rather than try to fix my problem, for overcharging me, for being all around tone deaf in dealing with me I will now say goodbye.  Oh you won't miss me - yet.  But let's hope that real competition will set in and help us shed some of these behemoths without souls.  AT&T is next.  I'm plotting a coup.
 
They won't miss me, but there are lots of like me's.  Not all of us are sheeplings.  We will not be fooled forever or again.
 
So Long Verizon, it's been bad to know you. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Verizon has bean berry berry gud four me.

But they are cooperating with our criminal administration. So dropping them might not be such a bad idea.

Steve Scott said...

AT&T may have the "fewest dropped calls" as their advertising claims, but they are increasing over time. My wife and I can barely carry on a conversation any more. Cell phone technology still sucks. It is grainy, patchy and calls still drop like a hat.

We used to have Sprint, but there were three places where we couldn't get a signal... home, work and church.