Thursday, October 16, 2008

The God Trump

Walking in ministry, many times I hear people say, "God told me to do this or that, or God has instructed me to take this action". " I must do this thing, because it's God's will".

OK, I get that. I don't even doubt you. That's between you and God. Who am I to say?

But, please, don't expect me to necessarily comport my behavior to yours because you heard from God in some area. If God told you to move to Africa and he didn't mention it to me, you go on ahead without me. If I hear anything different for me I'll let you know.

People have done some pretty bizarre things because they thought God told them to. Mostly he didn't. They just thought so.

What really is interesting when someone comes to me and says, " God told me to pack up and move to Africa, what do you think?"

You have to think that one over for a second. God told you. Now you ask Mr Gene? What's up with that? If God told you and you are certain, then I guess you have to do it. Asking me if I agree with God or not is a losing proposition for me. And, I'm not going to try to talk you out of or into anything. I'll be good counsel until you pull out the God Trump.

If you however say, I believe I may be hearing the tug of God on me in this area and would like you to pray with me, I'm up with that. We'll pray.

Where most people use the God Trump is when they come into conflict with leadership. If I'm leading a church and you come to me and tell me God has told you to do something and it doesn't conform with the vision I have for that Church given me by God, one of us is wrong. In this case, that would be YOU. If what you have been given by God is out of line with the vision God gave me, then that will result in DIVISION. Two visions.

If however you come to me with something God has given you and it meshes with the Vision God has given me, then by all means, let's do it. You and I have heard the voice of the Master in unison. If it isn't in line with the Vision God gave me, I don't care how much you think you heard the voice of God, I don't care if he gave it to you in triplicate notarized by himself, we aren't doing it unless I hear it and reform my vision. If God has called you to this, then you should go do it. Just don't try to do it in the House of Sheep over which I have responsibility.

Playing the GOD TRUMP won't sway me. It's all about order. I'm big on order. Do what God has called you to do as long as we stay in unity, but if we're not and you feel somehow I've missed it, then you have a decision to make regarding your further participation in our fellowship.

Make it. Don't bother with the God trump card. It won't work.

2 comments:

Steve Scott said...

We're a fairly large church, and we have many zanies come in the office with many bizarre issues. People claim to be Jesus. Some have claimed to be apostles and started ordering the pastor around claiming "apostolic" authority. They also threaten that failure to comply will result in judgment. Of course, nothing has ever happened. I know what I said departs a bit from your point, but I'm with you that vision from God is direct. So is repentance, by the way.

Anonymous said...

The best vision is the direct and objective verbal-and-plenary- inspired Word of God. When people come and say they think God has directed them to do something...I would ask,'where in the Bible does it say that?" Is it in tune with other Christian advice?