Thursday, November 20, 2008

If you are a Too Busy Pastor - it's your fault

A really good question is asked by a Pastor of 30 years who no longer is leading a church. He asks. WHY DO YOU GO TO CHURCH? The question is good but the implications are critical for anyone who leads a church. The highlights in RED are mine.

From Bruce

I want you to think about this question for a moment. Why do you go to Church? I am using the word Church in the popular American sense……going to a particular place to meet on a specific date with a specific group of people.

Someone will quickly reply….I go to Church because the Bible commands to:

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. (Heb 10:23-25 ESV)

So the reason you go to Church is because you are commanded to? You go to Church because you are required to do so?

I fear many people take their current religious practice and read it back into the Biblical text. How do we know that what we are currently doing even remotely resembles what Paul is speaking about here in Hebrews 10:23-25?

The above mentioned text gives three reasons for meeting together:

  • Stir up one another to love
  • Stir up one another to good works
  • Encouraging one another

Pray tell me how going to a building to watch a paid religious worker perform even comes close to these three reasons for meeting together?

Most people who attend Church are passive. The staff does the work and they sit in the pew judging the performance based on their own personal feelings and preferences.

I used to blame this phenomena on the Church membership but having left the pastorate I now see things from a different perspective. In many instances Church members have a great desire to serve, to work, to be involved, but it is the professional paid religious workers that keep the Church members in their place. We are the clergy. We are the chosen ones, the ordained ones.

Professional paid church workers don’t like competition. Start when you are told to start.Sing when you are told to sing. Read when you are told to read. Listen when you are told to listen. Give when you are told to give. Leave when you are told to leave. If the professional paid church workers need help they will ask for it, until then know your place in the clergy-laity scheme of things.

I pastored my last Church in 2004. I have preached thousands of sermons and taught thousands of Sunday school classes. Over the past 4 years I have yet to have one Church ask if I would like to preach or teach. I have been asked to use my “geek” skills to build websites, fix computers, install sound equipment, etc (of which I am glad to do) but never once have I ever been asked to exercise the gifts that God gave me.

Why is that? I want to think well of professional paid church workers but I am coming to the conclusion that I am viewed as a threat. The clergy are known for being very territorial. Their Church. Their Pulpit. Their Kingdom.

Only one king can sit on the throne in their kingdom and that is going to be them. They never consider that I just might be a help and blessing to the Church. I have been in the ministry for 30 years now. I have learned a thing or two.

Sometimes I think they fear letting a liberal like me preach or teach. After all I might subvert the official doctrines of the paid professional church workers union. I might call into question the status quo. I am sure they say to themselves “My God have you read his blog? Would you want to turn him loose in your Church?”

My wife has had a similar experience. She is not a teacher nor is she one to lead, but she is quite gifted nonetheless. She has a empathetic heart. She listens well. She easily comforts others. Oh she can sing, plays the piano, and was a superb Pastor’s wife…….but her calling is primarily to work behind the scenes. The best offers my wife has received over the past 4 years?

  • Would you like to work in the nursery? (I am sure she wants to say Hell no, I raised 6 kids, Raise your own. Well this is really ME talking. She would have left out the hell)
  • Would you like to sing in the choir? Sure. When are practices? Oh we practice on Tuesday evening. My wife works evenings so any weeknight, evening activity is not possible.

That’s it. I humbly believe my wife and I have much to offer any Church yet we are unwanted and unused. Seems strong doesn’t it? But, it is the fact.

We have been encouraged numerous times to “start” our own Church? Why? So we can duplicate what there is too much of already? If I started a Church that reflected how I see things today and what I believe the Bible teaches about the Church I doubt anyone would come to it. I am not sure I would come to it.

What if what we call the Church today is not the Church at all? What if it is so corrupted, so polluted that it has long since ceased to be THE CHURCH?

This brings me back to my original question. Why do you go to Church? Be honest.

I have come to the conclusion that many times it is out of fear that people attend Church. Fear of displeasing God. Fear of displeasing the paid professional church workers. Fear of displeasing friends or family.

In my own life…….as I look at what I have walked away from, what I no longer believe…..I have a nagging fear……..what IF I am wrong. Man I am really going to fry in Hell.

As I have said before, 50 plus years of religion has robbed me of the love, grace and mercy of God. I see the love, grace and mercy of God in the Bible but in my day to day life I see those who follow him living lives of hate and judgmentalism. Thousands of sects all calling on the name of their god and consigning all others to flames of hell (or annihilation)

I find myself at the back door of the Church, starting out the door, one foot out the door, one foot still in the door. I am looking for one reason to turn around, sit down, and stay.

Maybe it is God who has walked out the door ahead of me and He is bidding me to Follow Him. Dare I be so arrogant to suggest a thing? I don’t know.

I do know this………I continue to meet more and more people like myself. A motley group of cast-offs who still love God but can not longer come to terms with the Church. Often accused of being rebels or backsliders this group desperately tries to find a place where they can meet together and stir one another up in love and good works and encourage one another.

We do not need another Church, movement,group or denomination. What we need is each other.



Stolen from Steve Scott at From the PEW

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem I've experienced at various churches, there are some church workers and/or volunteers in which their volunteering is all about them. They are in control. In their minds, they are to be worshipped. If anyone gets in the way of this happenening, one is setting himself up to be attacked. Nothing direct, of course, but rather the passive-aggressive backbiting.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that anonymous 1. The people who complain all the time
are interested in self agendas. They are there to be pleased, not to grow spiritually & please and worship God. They are there to tell you how you better do this or that or there will be consequences. It has become shameful and disgusting. Many churches will fall because of it.
Your church leaders are called leaders for a reason. Most were annointed and hired to lead. Let them! Good leaders will encourage
everyone volunteering to serve the Lord. However, you always need the Leaders to lead or direct the way. When you try directing the leaders, it falls apart! Too many chiefs and not enough indians does not make a strong tribe in any community!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting my post.

To address Anonymous...yes we need leaders but we do not need CEO's and a large numbers of paid staff positions. God supposedly gave us the Holy Spirit but it seems unless a man tells us what the Holy Spirit is saying we can't do anything.

I wonder how different the Church would be if EVERYONE earned their income in the "world" and everything in the Church was done on a "free" basis? I wonder how different it would be if the budget for staff, programs, and buildings didn't suck 90% or more of the offerings?

I would challenge the notion about leading leaders. EVERYONE of us is accountable to the other. Even our leaders are accountable to us. (or should be) Far too many churches are operated like little kingdoms.

Bruce