Sunday, September 25, 2011

Why do so many people believe sports, entertainment or a political job is the way UP?

I am struck by how big heroism is among those who live in the poor communities in our nation. The heroes are wrong however.

They are heroes of Sports, Heroes of Entertainment, Heroes of politics.

Those heroes are OK if you get to be a big time rap star, ball player or President of the USA. The truth is you won't ever get there without exceptional luck, opportunity and skill. Chasing that dream of the unachievable imposed on the culture is soft classism.

The reality is, those heroes exist because they show a way out, a way up. Why basketball, football, baseball or a job is the only way out is because the REAL WAY OUT is not taught in schools. It is not given a place of prominence. In fact if you watch television programs, those in business are often portrayed as evil or conniving. The truth is opposite of that. When I grew up, businessmen were my heroes. Melroe (I met Les), Shaffer (I met him), Carnegie, Ford, Edison and on and on. They were heroes because I read books about them that showed them in the light of accomplishment.

Therefore today I am a businessman. I became what I Fixed my Gaze upon.

Somehow we must have our children reading about the greatness of the businessmen and women who hire others, who provide opportunity, who are making a difference in creating the middle class.

I don't understand how in the world we got away from teaching business, entrepreneurship and the idea of unlimited opportunity in the classroom.

There were 33 people in my small school graduation class. We all came out with aspirations to do something great. Many did. Making a difference.

Today, many leave school with no dream because they were not exposed to the reality of how to find it.

I asked a Friend of mine why in a mob of a hundred thousand agribusinessmen there were zero members of the community of which he is a part. He said that it was never taught that there was any opportunity in agriculture. I saw every nationality, every language, but only one african american person. There is something wrong when people think entertainment, sports or a political job are the only ways up.

IF you want to have your young person, your child, your friend break out of the pit of poverty, start buying them positive books on the lives of successful businessmen. We need to know their stories.

No comments: