Thursday, March 28, 2013

How My Life Became Focused

Some years ago I went thru a very hard time.  Business had failed. I was unemployed.  Didn't know what I wanted to do next.   I knew this.  I was a believer in the theorem that "Do what you love and the money will follow".   It has turned out that way.

But it took courage.  I had to step away from any idea that people were going to write me a check every month.  I had to come to the conclusion that JOB is a four letter word.  That I would never again be under anyone's expectations or thumb.  It has worked out pretty well.  Sure there have been some rough times.. but living on the edge does that to a person.

First thing I did to find what my future would be was make lists.

1.  I made a list of everything I have ever done. Any skill or ability I ever had.
2   I made a list of everything I ever did that I really enjoyed.  In my wheelhouse so to speak.
3.  I made a list of everything I was bad at, didn't like and really didn't want to ever do again
4.  I made a  list of every Job I ever hoped I would have a shot at.
5.  I made a list of everything I would never ever want to do.
6.  I made a list of what I loved as a kid.
7.  I made a list of what I hated as a kid.
8.  I made a list of every kind of productive activity I could engage in.

From those lists I sorted back and forth thru them and began to see a pattern.  I was supposed to do certain things and NEVER do others.

I am hard wired NOT to ever work for another person... ever again. 

In that finding my sweet spot, my wheelhouse of energy has provided me a great life.  That's what it's all about.

No comments: