Thursday, March 28, 2013

I am not so religious that I quibble about the titles people put on our quasi spiritual memorials in the culture

 I know Jesus wasn't born at Christmas time. I know it is an outcrop from a pagan turn of the year celebration. BUT for a brief moment in time the world's attention is turned to Jesus. I know all about the word Easter... it's meaning out of ishtar. We get all religious about the titles on our culturally churchy commemorations... but every Sunday is resurrection Sunday in my eyes. So if for a brief moment the world's eyes consider the claims of Christ, his passion, the passover mandate we celebrate tonight, the cost of the crucifixion tomorrow night as it's remembered, then call it what you will... the purpose stands. We don't even have it right. I know that on the Hebrew calender Today would be Holy Saturday. TOMORROW would be EASTER. Passover started Monday night and ended Tuesday at sundown. So Wednesday was Crucifixion. Don't want to confuse you. Let's just be thankful that even with some pagan roots there is a testimony to Christ RISING from the dead after bearing in his own body the Sins of the WHOLE WORLD. Don't get all cranky.... I would like to see ALL holidays redeemed for the Cause of Christ.

1 comment:

Fallout said...

I agree that the world needs to honor “Easter” as the resurrection of Christ. If we Christians allow the self righteous elite to remove or rename all of our religious holidays, such as changing Christmas to the Holiday Season, then the progressives will have effectively removed much of our Christian heritage from society.

However, I feel that mature Christians should know the word “Easter” is not in God's Word. The confusion comes from the translation of the original word was “pascha”which means “Passover” but was mistranslated to “Easter” in the King James Bible. Each individual Christian should celebrate the true Passover with the meal of our Lord and let Easter be celebrated by all.

Years ago I told my mother about the difference between the two words but she would not accept what I said. (She is in her 80's.) So, when I see her during this time of the year we celebrate Easter as though it was the Passover. :)