Friday, May 20, 2005

Napoleon Dynamite

After reading repeated posts by Julie on a movie I had never heard of, Napoleon Dynamite and when she made her father sit down to watch it and since I am a few years shy of her dad's age I thought I would give it a shot. Rented it. Peggy and I.

I enjoyed it. I have to admit to a generation gap. I always try to identify with the characters in a movie, play or opera. That's their job. I was a nerd, geek, still am. Like being one. Keeps my edge.

If you are under 30, hated high school, felt picked on, left out, this movie is for you. On the other hand who didn't? I will recommend it to Adam, Michael and Megan.

My recommendation probably will meet with the Oh Yeahs. Peggy works in a large middle school, 6-7-8th graders. I asked her to take an informal survey. Find out how many kids even KNEW of this movie. She talked to about 30.

READY?

100% In fact she couldn't find ANY who hadn't seen, loved and most could do a credible Napoleon imitation. (not the dance which was the second best part next to the wedding song)

So, Miss Julie, arbiter of the cultural youth market, I bow. Was this ever in theaters? Or, did it go direct to DVD. Or was I out of town the week it ran.

On the other hand, generationally speaking, do you understand Office Space?

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love Office Space. Never look at a stapler the same way since I saw it.