Tuesday, May 17, 2005

You Retire You Die

In the Wall Street Journal Marketplace Section May 5, a story of executives who in their 80’s are carving out a future. They are driven by the truth or fiction of the above statement.
  • Kirk Kerkorian 87 is trying to buy control of General Motors
  • Sumner Redstone 82 is firmly at the helm of Viacom
  • Ralph Roberts 85 stepped down 3 years ago as Chairman of Comcast
  • Hank Greenberg 80 just left AIG but plans to work 20 more years
Much younger men are following the path these giants of industry are blazing
  • Warren Buffet 74 CEO of Berkshire Hathaway (Forbes 400 Richest)
  • Rupert Murdock 74 of News Corp (Fox News)
Is this good or bad. Good I think. I have most likely 30-40 years left on this planet if genetics are any indicator. I hope to not be warehoused in a diminished state for any of it. I want to be active. I want to contribute. I want to do better than even my own expectations would grant.

So, in spite of the fact that younger men wish that these old dudes would just step out of the way I say, lead on. Life's paramount quality measure still means that:

1. You have a purpose (something to do) every day
2. You have something to hope for
3. You have a significant trusted person you can share it with.

That is all anyone can ask no matter their age.

No comments: