Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Rent this Movie or forfeit a Pound of Flesh

What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculties! in form and moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god! the beauty of the world!

At least old Will was. Shakespeare that is.

I rented and recommend Merchant of Venice from our local video store. It’s the 2004 version with Al Pachino as Shylock the Jew. I never really understood it well until I saw it. I have seen and read the play in other forms. This really brings out the full richness of the work.

  • Shylock’s anger is about his daughter. I never really grasped the depth.
  • Antonio and Basanio are not father son which I always thought.
  • Basanio really loves Portia.
  • Portia is very wise even in the way she deals with her husband.
  • The passion is wonderful.
  • Shylock’s speech on being a Jew is rattling and essential.
  • Shylock’s comeuppance in the end is just and not just. Merciful and not so.

After watching it I read the play again in bed last night. It meant so much more to me than it ever had before. I saw things in it I never saw before.

Even if you’re NOT a Shakespeare buff, rent this one. You won’t be sorry.

No comments: