Friday, July 15, 2005

A Day that Reigns

It was 3PM Saturday July 16, 1966. I stood in my one decent suit at the front of the chapel. I was 21 years old. I looked back and there was this beautiful woman (girl) of 18. She came up front. My brother John and Sister Carol stood by our sides. Only Pastor Quello seemed to be in charge. The 30 or so guests, family and friends sat quietly. Pastor Quello’s Wife played “Song of Ruth” on the organ. Pastor spoke about staircases in the Winchester house in California that go nowhere. I didn’t recall the point but it was interesting.

Then he asked us if we did. I said yes, she said yes, we did, have done and still do.

Some tears, some laughter, no one knowing exactly what we were about to get ourselves into. We didn’t. It’s lucky love is blind, stupid, trusting and doesn’t know the future. But OH what we would have missed if our better judgment had taken over. Sometimes faith and a plunge is all that separates us from the destiny that beckons us on.

We all went to the Town House motel dining room in Fargo and had dinner. Ben (my new Father in Law who wasn’t sure about this whole thing) bought.

It’s been a journey of 39 years. I’m glad we took it. There were opportunities for detours and station stops where one of us could have got off the train. But being hard headed Germans neither of us know how to say the words, “I give up”.

She has become my best friend, the only one who I can talk to in such intimate terms, a confessor, and a wonderful companion. She is the love of my life, still turns my crank, beautiful in more ways than you could understand, and as I mentioned to Eric in his blog about his 32’nd wedding anniversary yesterday, Proverbs 31 would sell her short.

So, Peggy, Thank YOU. Thanks to Mom and Dad Scheffert for allowing me to steal away their little girl. Thanks to Jesus who really deserves the credit for being the glue that holds us together in hard times, even when we lean into the punch.

Here’s to YOU, No YOU, No YOU.. This is the one argument we have constantly.

No comments: