Wednesday, September 28, 2005

EB the CAT

It’s been 4 years since Eb short for Ebner short for Ebenezer went to cat heaven. I can’t sing Come thou fount of many blessings and not think of him as we sing “Now I raise my Ebenezer”

I traded Ebner for a bushel of Sweet Corn from some people who were going to get rid of him because he didn’t get along with their other cats. Get rid for you city folks is KILL. I saved him.


I picked Eb up and he nuzzled me, purred and kneaded me. I know that has to do with weaning issues. But I liked it. That was in 1984. He moved in with us and became family until Eb died in 2001. He was a full-grown “Male” consultant cat (neutered) when we got him. Tabby Gray. Clawless but not clueless. My guess is he was near 20 yrs old when he died. I thought of that because of this cartoon, Get Fuzzy, in today’s paper:
Note that it says cats have a language of 100 sounds. I don’t know if this is factual but I will say that Eb could talk. More than that, he taught us to understand his language. He was quite clear. There was OUT for when he wanted to go outside.
He could say UP when he wanted to be held.
OUWCH when he was in pain.

MOROW when he was hungry
MYEUW when he was happy and playful
MOREW when you stop doing to him what you were doing
MYRREREW when he was locked in a room he wanted out of
YROROWW if a dog or unfriendly cat was present


And lots of others.
As he got older and arthritic he could complain in cat. DROWRER meant, “those democrats” (I think). I miss him but not enough to get another cat.

I give my heart away too easily and don’t want to have it broken. Parting is not that sweet a sorrow.

No comments: