Friday, December 09, 2005

The Battle of Midway

Yesterday about 3 PM I left an account in Wheeling IL, normally about a 45 minute drive from St. Charles. I called my wife to let her know what time I would be home. "Warm up the hambone honey I’m on my way".


She said, “it’s going to be 3 hours. Traffic reports say the roads are really slow”. I said something in pirate like “HAR”. You don’t know the Gene. All back roads, all ways thru the urban jungle.


She was dead wrong.


I got home at 6:30.


We had a half-foot of wet snow and all traffic stopped. It wasn’t that slippery but folks don’t like to run into each other much.


So I got to listen to several radio shows I had missed during the day via my Sirius sat radio.

When I got home TV was interrupted by the news of a Southwest Airline Jet crashing off the end of a runway at Midway and unfortunately a 6 year old boy was killed who was crushed in a car the plane ran in to.


Now, those who make it their duty to meddle in all things are harping that Midway isn’t safe. The runways are too short. It’s too hemmed in. Etc Etc.


I nearly always prefer Midway to O’Hare. I have flown out of O’Hare twice in the last year and a dozen times out of Midway. It’s just a better airport, more passenger friendly and it’s the home to the true AMERICAN airline, Southwest.


I am a loyal Southwest fan. If they don’t go where I want to go I might just skip going there. It’s not about my free tickets. It’s about comfort and reliability.


So, to all those meddlers who want to make us all safer, who want to ruin our lives by putting rubber edges on our sheers, (no they don’t cut but they are safe). Leave Midway Alone. Flying is safer than driving and for goodness sake it was snowing. The runway was slick.


Things Happen (Like the Bumper Sticker Said)

1 comment:

NodakJack said...

Next to Clear Channel and WalMart, I hate Sirius Satellite Radio most of all. :)